This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12.04 no longer boots after apt-get upgrade

Hi. I'm one of those who decided to give Linux a go when Valve released their Steam client for it a few months back. I've played around with Linux before in the past (Caldera, RedHat, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu) but never anything serious and never for very long. I think I've learned more about how Linux is put together and how to bend it to my will from this than in the last whole decade combined. Mostly out of necessity. And frankly, I'm surprised I lasted this long before wrecking something. See, despite having a self-updater, Steam can't actually update certain parts of itself. The first time I realized I needed to update it manually, I just uninstalled it and installed a fresh copy from the command line. The second time, someone pointed out that I could just exit the program and run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    to automatically update it. What they didn't bother to tell me is that this updates everything on the system, a process that for me took almost an hour. But whatever; I hadn't yet figured out how to update apps from KDE (turned out the update center thing is separate from Muon itself; clicking a popup I got toward the end of the process brought it up) and I was desperate to get GIMP up to 2.8 anyway, so I figured it was two birds with one stone.

And then I complied with its request to restart and... the computer failed to boot up. It made it to the Kubuntu logo with the five blinking dots, and at the point where it would normally go to the login screen, there was a blip and it just froze. Here's what I have gleaned from my searching for a solution so far and asking on UbuntuForums:
    • Attempting a package restore from the recovery mode menu did download and install some stuff, but it did not fix the issue.
    • Sometimes I would get an ANSI-mode version of the splash screen instead, which goes to an empty black screen when it crashes. This seems to be related in some vague way to what I did the previous time, but the graphical version always comes back the following time.
    • Trying to boot to the older version of the kernel listed in GRUB produces the same results.
    • It doesn't seem to be a graphics driver issue; "lshw -C display" and "lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga" produce what I am told are favorable results.
    • "dpkg --audit" returns no results.
    • Typing "startx" gives me the error "Could not create lock file in /tmp/.tx0-lock", which is the most promising lead so far, but that's the point where people stopped responding to my thread. Which is why I am now here.

Interestingly, googling the problem led me to a blog entry in which someone had posted the a comment that, in his experience with Kubuntu,
    Any time an upgrade to core system packages like kde-workspace/desktop or plasma occurs, the entire system breaks. It removes essential packages and doesn't reinstall them. One has to do this through a recovery prompt.
    Sadly the commenter didn't leave any useful contact info, so I can't hunt him down and ask him what packages he restores and how, but since this is a forum of Kubuntu users, hopefully someone knows what he was talking about.

Hi.

From the command line type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

go back to recovery mode do
      Code:
      sudo apt-get -f install
      then
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      reboot try to log in , if no post any error you got running thos commands .

if no one has responded by tomarow (I gota go to bead now ) I will start trying to debug this with you .

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Please show the output of the following commands:
        Code:
        cat /etc/fstab

cat /proc/mounts

df

ls -al /

ls -al /tmp

Comment

Ah, I see Snowhog and Vinny chimed in while I was typing. You'll note they provided an alternate command. apt-get dist-upgrade is preferred over apt-get upgrade because the former will perform a more complete dependency resolution. If a package update requires installing a new package not currently on your system, upgrade won't do this, while dist-upgrade will. I'm not sure if this is the actual cause of your problem, but I would concur with my colleagues that it's worth a shot.

My troubleshooting suggestions stem from a thought that you might have a permissions problem, you might have a full partition, or your root partition might be mounting as read-only for some reason.

Comment

OK, this is never going to work. After painstakingly entering the results of the first command and previewing it to make sure the columns line up correctly, I realized to my horror that the monospace font on this tablet isn't even actually monospaced! Congratulatons, Amazon, you've just convinced me to never buy a Kindle Fire of my own. Now if you'll excuse me, I clearly need to go buy a laptop before we can continue this conversation. :mad:

Oh, and for the record, the dist-upgrade thing didn't help. It found some stuff and installed it, but I still ended up with a crash-to-black when I rebooted.

Comment

Take photos. For each command:

* type clear
              * type the command
              * take a pic
              * post it somewhere online like Imgur
              * paste the URL here

Comment

Yeah, I realized it would be easy enough to copy off a photo. Here's what happened:

cat /etc/fstab:
                <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
                / was on /dev/sdb6 during installation
                UUID=38c6f79b-ac4f-426d-86fb-1b6aab54709a / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
                /boot was on /dev/sdb2 during installation
                UUID=f971b5d3-0d6e-4f70-8b17-13d682f77b4e /boot ext4 defaults 0 2
                swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation
                UUID=3f3f3ac7-ce07-49ec-9be8-7a5367536a9a none swap sw 0 0
                cat /proc/mounts:
                rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
                sysfs /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
                proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
                udev /dev devtmpfs rw,relatime,size=2012416k,nr_inodes=503104,mode=75 5 0 0
                devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode= 000 0 0
                tmpfs /run tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,size=809856k,mode=755 0 0
                /dev/disk/by-uuid/38c6f79b-ac4f-426d-86fb-1b6aab54709a / ext4 rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
                none /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw,relatime 0 0
                none /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0
                none /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw,relatime 0 0
                none /run/lock tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k 0 0
                none /run/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
                /dev/sdb2 /boot ext4 rw,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,stripe=4,data=ord ered 0 0
                df:
                Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
                /dev/sdb6 492152848 38865700 428287212 9% /
                udev 2012416 4 2013412 1% /dev
                tmpfs 809856 904 808952 1% /run
                none 5120 0 5120 0% /run/lock
                none 2024632 0 2024632 0% /run/shm
                /dev/sdb2 243951 98428 132928 43% /boot
                ls -al:
                total 44
                drwx------ 7 root root 4096 Mar 15 16:55 .
                drwx-xr-xr-x 26 root root 4096 Mar 21 01:05 ..
                -rw------- 1 root root 182 Mar 21 01:06 .bash_history
                -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3106 Apr 19 2012 .bashrc
                dxwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 19 14:42 .config
                drwx------ 3 root root 4096 Dec 19 14:42 .dbus
                drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 10 03:07 .gstreamer-0.10
                drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jan 25 12:46 .kde
                -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 140 Apr 19 2012 .profile
                drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Mar 21 01:09 .pulse
                -rw------- 1 root root 256 Dec 19 13:38 .pulse-cookie
                ls -al /tmp:
                total 24
                drwxrwxrwt 5 root root 4096 Mar 21 01:09 .
                drwxr-xr-x 26 root root 4096 Mar 21 01:05 ..
                drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 4096 Mar 21 01:09 .ICE-unix
                drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Mar 21 01:09 pulse-PKdhtXMmr18n
                -r--r--r-- 1 root root 11 Mar 21 01:09 .X0-lock
                drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 4096 Mar 21 01:09 .X11-unix

Comment

Well, looks like you aren't having any mount or space issues. Thanks for taking the time to supply all that info.

Not sure what to do right next. Need to think about this for a bit.

Comment

If it's getting to the point of launching X, and then failing, odds are it is a video issue of some kind. To show us the GPU and driver, run
                    Code:
                    lspci -vnn
                    (We only need the "VGA" stanza)Then there is a log file at /var/log/Xorg.0.log that might give some clue as to what is failing.

Comment

The thread on ubuntuforums told me to run the same command, but with the -nnk parameter instead. I'll just tack on the grep they told me to use, since I assume that's how you say "only show the part with this in it."

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI M98L [Mobility Radeon HD 4850] [1002:944a] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
                      Subsystem: XFX Pine Group Inc. Device [1682:3000]
                      Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
                      Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
                      And for good measure, the -nnk param also gave me the following:
                      Kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci
                      Kernel modules: fglrx, radeon
                      For what it's worth, that's not entirely accurate; the card isn't a laptop card, and it's one gigabyte, not 256M. Though if Linux thinks it is, that might explain the poor performance I've been getting from it. Also the fglrx driver had to be installed with the -force param because nothing I did was able to remove the old version thorouhly enough for its satisfaction. Just in case any of that is relevant.

Comment

Do you receive any errors if you try this:
                        Code:
                        touch /tmp/blah

Comment

No. It doesn't do anything, in fact.

Comment

Did you check to see if it created the empty file blah in the /tmp directory?

Comment

Ah. Yes, it did.

Comment

Working...
                              X