X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Print problem

Hi,

I am a newbie on the Linux (Kubuntu) trail and the installation from the iso file went without problems. Like the looks of it all! Presently I am configuring Skype (went OK) and link printers (I have two – a Brother HL1450 and a HP Deskjet 970cxi). It is here I have run into a bit of trouble. The set-up is as follows – the two printers are linked to the Windows7 (64bit) system and the Kubuntu system (on a 32bit machine previously running XP) needs linking to the Windows system printers (both printers are set to sharing). I have set up the Brother machine on Kubuntu but I cannot seem to get the right terminology on the configuration tab. I tried samba but to no avail. I obviously am missing something or putting in the wrong data. IPP/IPPS/Samba? Or other?
    I installed samba and that is working. Would it work if I linked the Brother printer directly into the router? I also have a 2 terabyte back-up drive linked to the router which deals with both Kubuntu and Windows files (in different directories).
    Any info gratefully received.

Hendrik

if the printers are shared via the windows machine you are connecting to a samba shared printer. you may have to edit your windows 7 sharing config to allow for NON NTLMv2 clients this may be whats preventing you from using samba currently ( i cant recall where in windows you change this but im sure you can find it via some quick searching).
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by dutchenery View Post
      Hi,

I am a newbie on the Linux (Kubuntu) trail and the installation from the iso file went without problems. Like the looks of it all! Presently I am configuring Skype (went OK) and link printers (I have two – a Brother HL1450 and a HP Deskjet 970cxi). It is here I have run into a bit of trouble. The set-up is as follows – the two printers are linked to the Windows7 (64bit) system and the Kubuntu system (on a 32bit machine previously running XP) needs linking to the Windows system printers (both printers are set to sharing). I have set up the Brother machine on Kubuntu but I cannot seem to get the right terminology on the configuration tab. I tried samba but to no avail. I obviously am missing something or putting in the wrong data. IPP/IPPS/Samba? Or other?
      I installed samba and that is working. Would it work if I linked the Brother printer directly into the router? I also have a 2 terabyte back-up drive linked to the router which deals with both Kubuntu and Windows files (in different directories).
      Any info gratefully received.

Hendrik
      Thanks for reply I will have a go at that. Will let you know.

Cheers

H.

cHEERS

h

Comment

Originally posted by dutchenery View Post
        Hi,
        Would it work if I linked the Brother printer directly into the router?
        If the printer has that capability It would certainly simplify getting it working on your machine and any other machines you might add or change in the future. To me, setting up networked printers is much simpler than setting up Windows shared printers. Another thing it does is that the printer is available as long as the router is running and you are connected to it. With shared printers, the machine that the printer is connected to must be up and running for you to be able to use it.

Comment

Working...
        X