Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of moving to Kubuntu soon... but I have a few question.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of moving to Kubuntu soon... but I have a few question.

Hi!

I'm presently thinking of moving from Windows to Linux on my main workstation.
    My main use of this computer is software development ( C/C++ and Java), Blender/Gimp, LibreOffice and of course all that the Internet has to offer

I know that Blender/Gimp and C/C++ aren't a problem and neither is LibreOffice or the various internet utility, quite the opposite in fact. But I have some question concerning Java and IDE.

1- How easy is it to install the latest JDK? I know that Oracle offer a rpm for it but how does this translate to Kubuntu?
    2- Same question, but this time about Ecipse (Juno)...
    3- How easy is it to install the latest JavaFX or other Frameworks?
    4- Beside Eclipse are there any other IDE, not a code editor only, that you recommend, possibly one that could be use for both Java and C/C++?

Thanks in advance to those who reply to this post.

Tuxon86

Originally posted by Tuxon86 View Post
    Hi!

My main use of this computer is software development ( C/C++ and Java), Blender/Gimp, LibreOffice and of course all that the Internet has to offer

I know that Blender/Gimp and C/C++ aren't a problem and neither is LibreOffice or the various internet utility, quite the opposite in fact. But I have some question concerning Java and IDE.

1- How easy is it to install the latest JDK? I know that Oracle offer a rpm for it but how does this translate to Kubuntu?
    2- Same question, but this time about Ecipse (Juno)...
    3- How easy is it to install the latest JavaFX or other Frameworks?
    4- Beside Eclipse are there any other IDE, not a code editor only, that you recommend, possibly one that could be use for both Java and C/C++?

Tuxon86
    you could follow this guide and be done within minutes.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/insta...buntu-via.html

pretty sure JavaFX is included. I don't use any of this stuff though. I have no Java on any of my systems.

Install Java JDK 7 on Ubuntu 12.04 (JavaFX is included in the installation)
    Last edited by pauly; Feb 27, 2013, 01:52 PM.

Comment

eclipse ppa

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:eclipse-team/ppa
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get install eclipse

Comment

Netbeans is a different ide. You could check this out. Just remember I know absolutely nothing about all of this. Google was my friend. Here is a blog talking about the pros and cons of Netbeans and eclipse.

https://jamesselvakumar.wordpress.co...ain-on-ubuntu/
        Last edited by pauly; Feb 27, 2013, 02:02 PM.

Comment

netbeans is in the repository so
          sudo apt-get install netbeans
          will install it.

Or you can download the latest version from the following.

http://netbeans.org/downloads/index.html

Comment

eclipse is in the repository as well

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Don't waste your time. Don't use this overrated, overbloated, buggy distro.

Comment

Bloated? I'm pretty sure the live iso fits on a standard CDR.

Good installation guide for Oracle (Sun) Java .

Comment

Originally posted by kdeputer View Post
                  Java is not a "distro".

If you are referring to Kubuntu it begs the question "Why are you still here and posting?" No one is forcing you to use Kubuntu. Troll much?

Bloated? Buggy?

You do not know what "bloated" means if you think Kubuntu is bloated. There is no "cruft", unused or superfluous code in Kubuntu. You can add or remove KDE apps, utilities and plasma widgets to your hearts desire, or even KDE itself and use another xserver client. But then, you wouldn't be running Kubuntu, strictly speaking. How much of Gnome's underpinnings are installed depends entirely on how many GTK+ apps you install and use.

As far as bugs, I personally don't have any issues that are affecting me on this Acer V3-771G laptop, but as with all OS's your mileage may vary.
                  Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 01, 2013, 11:24 AM.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by kdeputer View Post
                    I think you have stated your opinion in your "Kubuntu Sucks" and "Losing Patience" threads.

Comment

Netbeans and Eclipse both run great on Kubuntu. However, they are very different. If you are already used to Eclipse, I'd stick with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxon86 View Post
                        Hi!

Tuxon86
                        Welcome to Kubuntu,

I cannot comment on the Java, but the C++ is easy-breezy. My personal favorite to use is Code::Blocks IDE, I don't do much beyond casual hobbyist. I am a child of XP myself, which in my opinion was Microsoft's one and only best OS. But they went in another direction and so did I. I can tell you the transition from XP to Kubuntu is painless, if you are into productivity and not high end gaming. From what you are asking, it sounds as if you are more into productivity.

I also dabble in both Blender and Gimp, Gimp on XP use to hang on load for me. I have been unshackled from XP for about 6 months now, and before that I was only running it as a secondary OS in dual boot since 2010. The only thing I have that won't run in Linux is my Netflix, but I have my PS3 for that. I hold no ill will against Windows or Windows users, I only wish MS would have developed the better OS.

Again welcome to the 1 percent,

Simon Tomoko

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post

The only thing I have that won't run in Linux is my Netflix, but I have my PS3 for that.

Simon Tomoko
                          you can have your Netflix hear as well ,,,,,,,,

VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                          X