This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numerous errors, upgrade fail, boot menu problems

I have a dual boot system with 50% of my hard drive running Kubuntu 12.04, and the other 50% running windows vista. Today is the first time in a couple weeks that I logged into Kubuntu and I noticed pretty much right away that it was not auto detecting updates. Before I checked for them manually I tried to install firefox, which gave me a notice that another program was using the package system. I sought out answers for that problem and eventually came to one that told me to run a command (I'm sorry I forget it) that showed me the program that was locking the package manager, which was dpkg, so I terminated the process, and then ran another command I found looking for a "key", which it said it couldn't find, so I ran the apt-get update and that worked until the very end where it gave me some error message that quickly disappeared. So I tried to install firefox again, which also worked until the very end and then gave me a notice that it was installed but with errors. A little frustrated I decided to just log back into windows for now but when I reboot my computer the option to boot into windows is no longer available, and a new menu item appeared for advanced ubuntu booting or something similar. I'm not very familiar with linux really and was trying to learn it, but most of my data is all on my windows partition so this has me pretty worried. Any advice would be seriously appreciated.

Afterthought: I didn't notice til just now that it now is also impossible to open multiple tabs in google chrome, the browser I am using right now, this was not the case this morning before the update errors and etc...
    Last edited by marqueemark; Jan 30, 2013, 09:18 AM. Reason: type-os
Working...
X