This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Steve,
    I am sorry. But I found out that it doesn't work. If I install LO 3.6 and add oxygen style I am back to LO 3.5. I guess gtk integration is a major change in Kubuntu 12.10 compared with 12.04.
    Do you have any other idea?
    Kind regards, Sigurd

So I have uninstalled LO 3.5 again but this time by Apper. And I installed LO 3.6. This way I still have Oxygen as default in the LO Settings. But the survace looks not good. Please have a look at the attached screen shots. Using Apper I saw the installed parts of LO 3.6. When I try to install additional things like GTK+ Integration it wants to install Lo 3.5 again. Even the Firefox integration is not available for the 3.6 version of LO. Is there a way to do such an installation of the GTK Integration for LO 3.6 by the Konsole? Perhaps this may solve the problem?
    Kind regards, Sigurd
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SigurdF; Oct 31, 2012, 12:23 PM.

Comment

At this point, since you've tried several installs and uninstalls, it's worth double-checking what's installed now. Let's take a look:
      Code:
      dpkg -l | awk '/libreoffice/ {print $1,$2,$3}'

Comment

Hi Steve,
        You are right again. I downloaded Apper. And with Apper I could see what I have. And on a website of LibreOffice I found out a curious thing. I was shocked!

There are two different versions of LibreOffice 3.6:
        A) The version you get in a package with an Operating System as I did with Kubuntu 12.10. This is a LO 3.6 version with all features and ofcourse full gtk-integration.
        B) And there is a so called "common" version of LibreOffice 3.6. This version you get when you download LO 3.6 from the website and install it manually. But this version is only the core plus the modules and the desktop-integration - nothing more! It looks more like a developer's working version than a version for a user.

Does the Document Foundation want to scare people away from LibreOffice? Because that is exactly what they are doing!

For me it means I have to got back to version 3.5 as long as the Document Foundation is not willing to provide a fully featured version 3.6 for everybody.

Thank you very much Steve. We had a good conversation and I appreciate your help.

Kind regards, Sigurd

Comment

Why do you not install directly from the ressources? Konsole or Muon. I can not understand why you step back to 3.5.x
          Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
          I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

Even though this thread is in the 12.10 section, earlier posts indicate that SigurdF has reverted to 12.04. The version of LibreOffice in the repository for 12.04 is 3.5, not 3.6.

Generally, installing a package like LibreOffice from the original download provider isn't recommended. When a distribution repackages such software, one popular task is to add customizations that improve desktop integration. So the Document Foundation isn't doing anything to "scare people away." It's just the nature of Ubuntu (and most other Linuxes) that different release versions will have different versions of third-party applications.

An alternative is to use Personal Package Archives (PPAs) from Launchpad. In fact, such a PPA exists for LibreOffice, and 3.6 is listed as available for 12.04. Alas, something in that PPA is broken, because LibreOffice hasn't successfully built for eight weeks now.

SigurdF, if you want LibreOffice 3.6 with good KDE integration, it looks like you'll need to get Kubuntu 12.10 running on your machine.

Comment

Thank you very much to all, especially to SteveRiley. I give up. Kubuntu 12.10 is not running on my machine. I am not able to fix that problem. And LO 3.6 is not running properly under Kubuntu 12.04 LTS. I hope that Kubuntu 13.04 will work better at least for me. And with it I may have the newest version of LibreOffice. For now I will stay with Kubuntu 12.04 and LO 3.5. It is running excellent on my machine.
              If somebody is interested to run Gimp 2.8 under Kubuntu 12.04 LTS here is the website: http://www.noobslab.com/2012/08/inst...in-ubuntu.html. It works!

Despite of these problems I have I am still convinced about Linux, Debian and Kubuntu. Live is not always excellent. Sometimes you have to live with some issues. In this sense: thank you again, Sigurd

Comment

I was having issues with kubuntu 12.10 and KDE. After trying for a day or two and ending up with a system that was worse than when I started I used Muon to re-install some of the basic KDE systems. Which did help. I then installed KDE full and things began to actually work correctly. Note: It appeared that there was a bad configuration somewhere in KDE and when the full KDE was installed it wrote correct configurations. At any rate 12.10 is really humming along currently. It is a very nice system when working correctly.
                GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

For all those having issues with 12.10. A good tip when wanting to install the latest version is to wait at least a month after it has been released to enable bugs in that version to settle down. Unless you want to help with development, then file a report of all bugs you come across to help others have a more stable OS.

Comment

I had two problems I think. One was finding the right way to install the proprietary nvidia driver for my old video card. A GF 7300-GS with 256 MB. If possible install it during the OS installation. I didn't.
                    I was running the nouveau driver and it wouldn't run much eye-candy at all. Turned it off since I was having segfaults opening and closing windows. I even had the system drop out of the Xserver. It ran fairly decently after turning off effects.
                    I used nvidia-settings in Muon. Done.

I believe I also had a file system problem. I'm using Ext4. I had to use an alternate Superblock to get it straightened out. (-b superblocknumber using e2fsck) I used the 4k value and it went to work. Things were a whole lot better.

Still some little issues. I used re-installation of some KDE basic components. Once I had re-installed those I installed kde-full, and this installation of 12.10 has not had a hiccup. I've added software here and there. I've removed some.

I don't know if it's an issue or not, but I have to run KPPP through a Konsole/Terminal. I haven't had time to see if there's a fix. But I've had such a smooth ride the way things are that I think I'll enjoy it for a while. This is really a nice system.
                    GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Hi,
                      I solved my problem with Kubuntu 12.10 by making my harddrive a virgin again. But it was soooooo much work to do all the settings again.
                      Regards, Sigurd

Comment

Providing you have sufficient disk space I would suggest to split off two partitions and make an extra install of 12.04 and then do the update to 12.10 as per SteveRiley's instruction.
                        Once it's up and running you can decide to remove 12.04
                        Or do like me and keep it for the day(s) you've experimented too much with the latest and greatest

Edit; hmm I must have missed your last post about fixing 12.10 by way of reformatting the HD.
                        Last edited by Teunis; Nov 07, 2012, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X