This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brother DPC-110C USB driver

what file do I need to download and how do I add a Brother DPC-110C USB printer to my newly installed system?

Re: Brother DPC-110C USB driver

You shouldn't need to download anything to make your usb connections work. That's built in to the kernel. As for your printer: Here's the Linux Printer.org page. The page seems to be a work in progress, but Brother provides drivers and there's a link on the LP.o page. Apparently, you want the Cupswrapper driver.

Comment

Has anybody else had trouble with the DPC-110c, following the recent KUBUNTU updates? I've had a number of USB problems, now all resolved except that the printer is no longer working. It had been working fine since Dec 06. I've tried reinstalling it to no avail. The printer includes a memory card reader, which is working, so this is not just a USB problem. Greg

Comment

Merely a wild guess: are you sure that the printer's address ("Device URI" in CUPS speech) is still valid? You may verify what the CUPS interface (i.e. http://localhost:631/printers/) provides in this regard (?).

Comment

That's wonderful - many thanks.
          Not sure what I did, but in playing with CUPS, on the address you gave, I tried modifying the printer settings. CUPS didn't have the drivers for this printer, so I looked for a brotherdcp110c
          Code:
          ppd
          file, which was in /etc/cups, and told CUPS to use that. It changed the "Device URI address" to a simple
          usb://Brother/DCP-110C
          from something I didn't recognise, but is now lost, sorry. I printed a test page from CUPS which crashed the computer after 3/4 of the page, however all has recovered on a re-start and the printer is working fine. Most grateful. Greg

Comment

Just wanted to add that I had trouble installing my DCP110c on a Kubuntu 7.04 clean install. It was working fine under Mepis on the same computer, so not much was wrong.

After much installing and uninstalling, I believe the following is the sequence of events that solved the problem.

1) Download the dcp110clpr-1.0.2-1.i386.deb file from Brother's Linux support http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/index.html
            2) Right click on it and install it using Kubuntu package install. (I started Konqueror from a terminal sudo Konqueror, to get it running as root, and then copied my files to /etc/brother, having created the brother folder.
            3) Download the cups wrapper, cupswrapperdcp110c_1.0.0-1_i386.deb and install in the same way. It will fail, and report that csh is needed. At a terminal type sudo apt-get install csh. I ignored some of the comments regarding the install.
            4) Try again to install the cups wrapper. You might have to create some folders, using your root copy of Konqueror, that it reports that it cannot find.
            5) Search for ppd files and hopefully you will find etc/cups/ppd/dcp110c.ppd. I moved the ppd file to the /etc/cups/ppd folder. If you cannot find it, some say it is on the Brother driver CD, but somehow it appeared on my system.
            6) Go to system settings and printers, and add this printer, hopefully your computer will have already detected it on a USB port. When adding it, choose the ppd file, not any of the drivers that the printer utility suggests.
            7) check in cups with your browser at http://localhost:631/

All worked for me at this stage after 2 days of fiddling so I am not certain if I have taken any other steps in this process. If anyone knows better, please say. Greg

PS. I had also changed the permissions of /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperDCP110C but am not sure that this was relevant.

Comment

Working...
            X