This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help installing vmware player

Hello everyone, i am having trouble installed vmware player, i downloaded the .bundle file and ran the sudo sh (location of file) but it says that it cant open it

here is the information of my pc:
    platform version: 4.8.4
    Grub Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66 or 2.10-1(not sure which one)
    only kubuntu is installed X64
    intel i7
    ati radeon HD 5870M
    ram 8GB
    2X500GB hds
    bluray drive

Open a console. Become root:
    Code:
    sudo su -
    Provide your password and press enter. Then CD into the directory where the .bundle file is located. Then type:
    Code:
    sh VMware-Player-e.x.p-xxxx-xxxx.architecture.bundle
    xxxx-xxxx is the version and build numbers, architecture is i386 or x86_64
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hello Snowhog, i have a question, i remaned the vmware player to vm.bundle to make it easier to type, that would not make a difference?

Comment

Follow my instructions, and once in the directory where you have the vm.bundle file, type:
        Code:
        sh vm.bundle
        It should work. But you didn't need to rename the file. When you begin typing the file name, you can press the tab key and it will auto-complete the file name.

Comment

Hello Showhog,
          i tried but got the same result, should i re-download it again, also i can open it in kate and it seams fine

Comment

I would download the .bundle file again. This time, don't rename it. Note where you are saving it to (likely, Downloads). Once you have the file downloaded, open a console and type:
            Code:
            sudo su -
            After typing your password and pressing enter, change directory into the directory where the .bundle file is located and type:
            Code:
            sh VMware-Player-e.x.p-xxxx-xxxx.architecture.bundle
            xxxx-xxxx is the version and build numbers, architecture is i386 or x86_64

Comment

Hello Snowhog, i got it working, i did not realise that konsole is case sensitive

Comment

Cool.

Comment

sorry spoke too soon i get the following error when running vmware player. gnu c compiler (gcc) version 4.6.3 was not found

Comment

In a konsole, type:
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get install gcc
                    Then repeat my previous steps.

Comment

Hey Snowhog, after i ran vmware it had a problem with virtual network device and the the log is at tmp/vmwarer-oot/***.log, but my permission was denied to access that directory

Comment

Hey Snowhog, after i ran vmware it had a problem with virtual network device and the the log is at tmp/vmwarer-oot/***.log, but my permission was denied to access that directory

Comment

Hello, i managed to get the log file:
                          vm.txt

Comment

i had a look around and did the following link
                            it also states that:Update: for other versions like VMware Player 4.0.4, edit the "patch-modules_3.2.0.sh" file (from the archive downloaded by the second command above) and change the "plreqver" version to the VMWare Player version you're using., i have installed version 4.0.4 but it still does not work

Comment

Hey Snowhog,
                              i finally got it working, Thank you for all your help!

Comment

Working...
                              X