This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox/File Associations

Hi all, lets start with a celebration of my first post on the Kubuntu forums. It feels great to be a member of "the community" proper, and this feels like some sort of induction!

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum, but...

Basically, I've got some problems with Firefox. Currently I'm running the Aurora version (I've added the PPA to ensure it's updated on my system, currently running "15.0a2 (2012-07-16)" - obviously this will change over the next few days as updates are virtually daily. I've a feeling it's more related to Kubuntu anyway, since I've never had this problem before (I've run Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora before settling with Kubuntu - I'm in love with KDE!).

Issue is as follows: whenever I'm sent a link (for instance, over Pidgin) or when opening a hyperlink from a .odt file in LibreOffice, it is not opening with Firefox. Having previously had Rekonq installed (and now UNinstalled), it tries to open it through that, before realising the program is missing. Presumably there's just some config file to edit somewhere, but I don't same to be able to do it through the file associations under the system settings.

Another small and possibly similar issue, after downloading a file I find it handy to navigate to it by right clicking and selecting "Open File Location". Firefox doesn't seem to even attempt to open my default file manager (Dolphin - that's what was used in KDE installs I've previously run, and I've done nothing to change it). I've no idea where the Linux equivalent of the Dolphin .exe file would be found - as a clumsy work around, I could navigate to that if told how, but it seems that isn't so much fixing the problem as taping over the cracks and it'd be good to know what was wrong!

Sorry this is a little rambly - I've tried to pre-empt any questions that could be asked and provide as many details as possible!

Cheers,

AA.

I've had the same thing happen to me a couple of times now. I've searched for answers but couldn't find any. What happened to me was that I'd download a file and double click it in the Downloads window and Firefox would pop up saying that it doesn't know which program use to for that file type or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by ArminasAnarchy View Post
      Hi all, lets start with a celebration of my first post on the Kubuntu forums. It feels great to be a member of "the community" proper, and this feels like some sort of induction!

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum, but...

Basically, I've got some problems with Firefox. Currently I'm running the Aurora version (I've added the PPA to ensure it's updated on my system, currently running "15.0a2 (2012-07-16)" - obviously this will change over the next few days as updates are virtually daily. I've a feeling it's more related to Kubuntu anyway, since I've never had this problem before (I've run Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora before settling with Kubuntu - I'm in love with KDE!).

Issue is as follows: whenever I'm sent a link (for instance, over Pidgin) or when opening a hyperlink from a .odt file in LibreOffice, it is not opening with Firefox. Having previously had Rekonq installed (and now UNinstalled), it tries to open it through that, before realising the program is missing. Presumably there's just some config file to edit somewhere, but I don't same to be able to do it through the file associations under the system settings.

Another small and possibly similar issue, after downloading a file I find it handy to navigate to it by right clicking and selecting "Open File Location". Firefox doesn't seem to even attempt to open my default file manager (Dolphin - that's what was used in KDE installs I've previously run, and I've done nothing to change it). I've no idea where the Linux equivalent of the Dolphin .exe file would be found - as a clumsy work around, I could navigate to that if told how, but it seems that isn't so much fixing the problem as taping over the cracks and it'd be good to know what was wrong!

Sorry this is a little rambly - I've tried to pre-empt any questions that could be asked and provide as many details as possible!

Cheers,

AA.
      The code that integrated firefox with kde was dropped by Ubuntu in the 12.04 release. There are other posts on kubuntuforums discussion it, so I won't go into it here. With regards to switching from rekonq to firefox, did you change the default browser to also be firefox? The setting would be found under the System Settings==>Default Applications. Dolphin is found under /usr/bin/dolphin.

If the Default Applications doesn't take care of your Pidgin problem, check to see if Pidgin has its own setting for browser (I don't use it, so I don't know). If you search the forums for firefox, you'll find the discussion on the integration settings and a ppa to add it to your sources so you can install it. I believe it is still being developed, though.

Comment

Originally posted by vw72 View Post
        The code that integrated firefox with kde was dropped by Ubuntu in the 12.04 release. There are other posts on kubuntuforums discussion it, so I won't go into it here. With regards to switching from rekonq to firefox, did you change the default browser to also be firefox? The setting would be found under the System Settings==>Default Applications. Dolphin is found under /usr/bin/dolphin.

If the Default Applications doesn't take care of your Pidgin problem, check to see if Pidgin has its own setting for browser (I don't use it, so I don't know). If you search the forums for firefox, you'll find the discussion on the integration settings and a ppa to add it to your sources so you can install it. I believe it is still being developed, though.
        Thanks VW. I've set the default application to Firefox, and did find an option in Pidgin for correcting that problem. Thus far, Firefox still doesn't seem to be realising that Dolphin is my default FM - I'll see if that situation changes after a reboot and report back later (working at the moment!).

I'll have a look through the forums as you've suggested, but what's the rationale with dropping it? I know a lot of people have been having trouble with GNOME 3, and the KDE following can't be small by any small by any means - the demand is surely there, so why has the supply been withdrawn?

Also, any idea whether or not manually telling Firefox where the Dolphin executable is would cause any trouble with future updates? For future reference too, is the /usr/bin file the general location for most executables?

Comment

ArminasAnarchy,

Nobody involved with Kubuntu wanted to drop it. The maintainer was actually on the Ubuntu team and didn't want to maintain it anymore. It was one thing when Firefox came out with a new release once or twice a year, but the six week update cycle was too much work for the maintainer -- plus Ubuntu really just wants to focus on Gnome/Unity.

As for where to find applications, yes the vast majority are under /usr/bin. Sometimes, they may be in some other folder, but that is usually when compiling from source code or installing a test version of an application.

This is the thread regarding Firefox that I was referring to: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...hlight=firefox

Another option is to use KDE's rekonq as your browser. The version that ships with Kubuntu 12.04 has some bugs and has been superceded. If you add the repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/ppa you can update to version 0.9.2 (that ppa will also update your KDE to 4.8.4).

Comment

Working...
          X