Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open source applicatin to adjust Bass and Treble.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open source applicatin to adjust Bass and Treble.

Kubuntu 12.04

Is there an source application that would allow me to adjust the Bass and Treble in audio. I am old and my hearing has changed. Currently, Bass dominates and Treble seems reduced, making understanding the vocal portion of a video very difficult even at the highest volumes.

Thanks!

Veromix, a replacement for the default KMix, includes an equalizer. You can install it via the command line or Muon.

To disable KMix (so that you won't have two volume mixers running), edit the file ~/.kde/share/config/kmixrc and add the following line to the [Global] section:
    Code:
    AutoStart = false

Comment

Once Veromix is installed, you'll probably want to boost the midrange frequencies rather than treble for best results in picking out voices from a crowded mix.

Typical human vocal range is about 100Hz for a deep baritone up to about 1100Hz for sopranos (and children), but to allow for harmonics you'll want to give a boost to frequencies up to about 3500Hz. Looking at a screenshot of Veromix's equaliser, I'd suggest lowering the first three sliders and the last three sliders, and raising the ones between in a gentle curve shape - kinda like a flattened bell curve.
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

As you can see by my reply to Steve, I have obviously made a mixtake (excuse the pun) and do not have the mixer properly installed. I will attempt your suggestion once the mixer is installed properly. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

I found a widget for Veromix, however, I don't notice much change in the sound when I change the settings. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Veromix Settings -> PulseAudio pane -> Max volume value

Comment

Can, and how do I, copy a screen print to the Quick Reply? When I open Veromix, I get a very simple screen with no option for settings.

Comment

When you right-click the Veromix icon, a menu opens up, from which you can then open the settings panel.

To capture your entire screen, or only one app window, or even an arbitrary rectangle, press the PrtSc button. This starts the KSnapshot utility.

Comment

Working...
                X