Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anyway to speed up generation/rendering of thumbnail previews in folders?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there anyway to speed up generation/rendering of thumbnail previews in folders?

I would be very grateful if anyone knows of a way to speed up the very slow rendering of thumbnail previews for video files when viewing a folder containing a good few dozen video files. It seems to take a very long time and for some reason I really like to have thumbnails showing as I have become very used to it from both Gnome & Win 7 (both of which generate thumbs very quickly indeed, even in folders with hundreds of videos).

So, is there a setting or something that can be tweaked?, I'm running 12.04 on a fairly quick machine, OpenGL is the window renderer in settings, everything else seems to be nice and responsive so don't think I need to change to XRender, I am stuck trying to think of something to tweak this, or is this one of those things that for some reason KDE is slow at?. Also, is there a way/setting for the thumbnail cache to be saved for a longer time, I ask this because it looks as though every restart of the pc the thumbs start from scratch, whereas in Gnome the cache seemed to keep them between sessions.

Any suggestions very much appreciated indeed, thank you.

ps, everything else seems to be working perfectly, no errors whatsoever so far, and btw, I have most desktop effects off, none of the demanding ones like Cube etc, I think this helps make the system more responsive.

What thumbnailer are you using ?

At here /1/:
    ffmpegthumbs; 147 video clips; ~11 second.
    mplayerthumbs: 147 video clips; ~200 second.

Links

1. http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...694#post300694
    Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
    - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Originally posted by OneLine View Post
      What thumbnailer are you using ?

At here /1/:
      ffmpegthumbs; 147 video clips; ~11 second.
      mplayerthumbs: 147 video clips; ~200 second.

Links

1. http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...694#post300694
      I installed mplayerthumbs because I thought that was the one Dolphin uses, I guess I should try getting the other one and see if it makes a difference. thanks for your reply, btw, if I install the ffmpeg one, do I have to change some settings or will Dolphin just use it?

Comment

You can turn on/off settings for previews here:

sigpic

Comment

Thank you very much for your help guys, yes I have now installed the other one and it is very much quicker but i notice that previews are no longer shown on an actual folder icon of videos, but this is a small price to pay, I found that you can get a picture preview over the folder by simply adding a jpeg inside the folders containing the videos, so it still looks nice when viewing the home folder or subfolders etc.

Thanks very much again, this has speeded up the thumbnail generation a thousand fold

Oh forgot to ask, I installed both ffmpegthumbs & Kffmpegthumbs, should I get rid of one of them or just leave them there??

Comment

Earlier

Thread: Video thumbnail not displayed on directory icon
            http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...directory-icon

It seems (?) that the Dolphin is using the MPlayerThumbs to make/show the video thumbnails on directory icon.

The MPlayerThumbs can show the video thumbnail on directory icon. The kffmpegthumbnailer is blocking the video thumbnail on directory icon when installed with the MPlayerThumbs. The ffmpegthumbs can be installed with the MPlayerThumbs.

Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
            - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Thank you very much again !
              I uninstalled the Kffmpeg and now just have the ffmpeg one selected but with mplayerthumbs still installed but not selected and it all works 100% beautifully, I am now getting lightening fast thumbs of vids generated within video folders and am now also getting the vid thumbs on the actual folders/directories themselves. Perfect. thank you

Comment

Working...
              X