This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATI Video Card Problems - Xvfb GLX/OpenGL

I'm trying to do the same thing in Linux that I can do easily in the server version of Windows 7. Remote Desktop!

After much trouble, I was able to have multiple users login via XVfb with the following command

export DISPLAY=:2
    Xvfb :2 -screen 0 1550x850x16 &
    x11vnc -display :2 -bg -many -passwd HIDDEN -xkb -rfbport 5902

This allows me to login remotely and a user to sit at the computer and use it at the same time.

The problem is with OpenGL/GLX. If I use the latest Proprietary ATI Drivers the person sitting at the computer gets access to all of my Video Card's features and they can plan games (Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter) in Wine. But the person using VNC/Xvfb doesn't get any advanced features like OpenGL and GLX.

For example if I VNC into the comptuer and type "glxgears" at the terminal I get
    "Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual"

If I try to start blender I get
    Info: Config directory with "startup.blend" file not found.
    /build/buildd/blender-2.58-svn37702/intern/ghost/intern/GHOST_WindowX11.cpp:232: X11 glXChooseVisual() failed, verify working openGL system!
    initial window could not find the GLX extension, exit!

If I use the open source drivers, the person sitting at the computer gets access to only SOME of the Video Card's features and can't play games (Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter) in Wine. But the user at VNC gets access to everything that the person sitting at the computer gets access to. So the VNC user can see the glxgears and use programs like Blender.

I need a way to either use the open source drivers under VNC/Xvfb or a way to get OpenGL working with the Proprietary drivers under XVFB.

As it stands, I have to choose, do I want to be able to play Ghost Recon or do I want to be able to use Blender. I hate that.

I'm open to other ways to remote in but this is the only way that's been working for me. I tried FreeNIX and that just didn't seem to work.

I really don't want to have to spend $700 and give up on Linux just so I can use Blender and play 1 game! Why should I have to choose!
    Last edited by Guest; May 14, 2012, 03:45 PM. Reason: more info
Working...
X