This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extigy only one sound channel

I'm pretty much a persistent Linux newbie -- I keep trying it, getting frustrated at not getting things to work, and giving up before I get any good with the OS. Let's see if I can do better this time.

I have a Soundblaster Extigy sound card, which works fine under MS Windows. Under Kubuntu I only get the left channel -- nothing at all on the right channel. Has anybody got any ideas how I can get both channels working? Somebody mentioned that it might be to do with the card autodetecting whether one of the lines is input or output, and getting it wrong, but I don't know how to check that or fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Check out #6 on the "Top 20" link in my signature.

More troubleshooting guidance is here.
    Last edited by dibl; Apr 28, 2012, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
      Check out #6 on the "Top 20" link in my signature.

More troubleshooting guidance is here.
      All of that stuff seems to be about no sound. My sound card is being recognised and I have sound -- just on one channel -- so it doesn't seem to be relevant.

Comment

Is that a USB sound card? If so, in a terminal run

Code:
        lsusb -v
        and find the section where the information about that card is listed. It will begin with a line that includes the name of the card, something like this one:
        Code:
        Bus 010 Device 003: ID 046d:08d7 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Communicate STX
        Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
        Device Descriptor:
          bLength                18
        Copy and paste in here the first dozen or so lines of that output.

I assume you reviewed the information here: http://exaudio.sourceforge.net/

It's not encouraging that they don't list a kernel 3.x driver. Here's driver downoad site: http://sourceforge.net/projects/exaudio/
        Last edited by dibl; Apr 28, 2012, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Is that a USB sound card? If so, in a terminal run

Code:
          lsusb -v
          and find the section where the information about that card is listed. It will begin with a line that includes the name of the card, something like this one:
          Code:
          Bus 010 Device 003: ID 046d:08d7 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Communicate STX
          Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
          Device Descriptor:
            bLength                18
          Copy and paste in here the first dozen or so lines of that output.
          Something like this?
          ----snip ----
          Bus 002 Device 002: ID 041e:3000 Creative Technology, Ltd SoundBlaster Extigy
          Device Descriptor:
          bLength 18
          bDescriptorType 1
          bcdUSB 1.10
          bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
          bDeviceSubClass 0
          bDeviceProtocol 0
          bMaxPacketSize0 64
          idVendor 0x041e Creative Technology, Ltd
          idProduct 0x3000 SoundBlaster Extigy
          bcdDevice 1.00
          iManufacturer 1 Creative Technology Ltd.
          iProduct 2 Sound Blaster Extigy
          iSerial 0
          bNumConfigurations 1
          ----snip ----

I assume you reviewed the information here: http://exaudio.sourceforge.net/

It's not encouraging that they don't list a kernel 3.x driver. Here's driver downoad site: http://sourceforge.net/projects/exaudio/
          I found that, but I don't even know what kernel I have and I didn't understand the installation instructions.

Because I have sound I assume I have a working driver and it's just a matter of configuration.
          Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 29, 2012, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by digitig View Post
            I don't even know what kernel I have and I didn't understand the installation instructions.
            You can always check that with

Code:
            uname -r
            Because I have sound I assume I have a working driver and it's just a matter of configuration.
            That may or may not be a valid assumption. I googled "extigy 041e:3000 linux driver" and it appears the snd-usb-audio driver is supposed to work for that card. I ended up at this page: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...dule-usb-audio

A very handy package for this kind of question is hwinfo, and it is available in the universe repo. So, in your terminal

Code:
            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install hwinfo
            Then you can run the package in the same terminal with

Code:
            sudo hwinfo
            It will output a long list of information about your hardware, and for those items that use a driver and kernel module, it shows them. So scan down the list to the USB devices, and scan down those until you find the Extigy card, and look down the list of information under it. Does it show a driver? Does it also show a "Driver Module"? What are they? Does it show the configuration parameters being used? If you can paste in that section, it might let us guesstimate what needs to be changed.
            Last edited by dibl; Apr 29, 2012, 12:08 PM.

Comment

I've got another problem at the moment, so there will be a delay in responding to this one. I'm not ignoring you!

Comment

You can always check that with

Code:
                uname -r
                Ok. It's 3.0.0-17-generic.
                Code:
                sudo hwinfo
                It will output a long list of information about your hardware, and for those items that use a driver and kernel module, it shows them. So scan down the list to the USB devices, and scan down those until you find the Extigy card, and look down the list of information under it. Does it show a driver? Does it also show a "Driver Module"? What are they? Does it show the configuration parameters being used? If you can paste in that section, it might let us guesstimate what needs to be changed.
                [/quote]
                Ok, here goes:
                --- snip ---
                49: udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_3000_noserial_if0_sound_card_1_alsa _playback_2'
                alsa.card_id = 'Creative Technology Ltd. Sound Blaster Extigy'
                alsa.pcm_class = 'generic'
                alsa.device_id = 'USB Audio #2'
                linux.device_file = '/dev/snd/pcmC1D2p'
                linux.hotplug_type = 2 (0x2)
                linux.subsystem = 'sound'
                info.subsystem = 'sound'
                info.product = 'USB Audio #2 ALSA Playback Device'
                info.udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_3000_noserial_if0_sound_card_1_alsa _playback_2'
                linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0/sound/card1/pcmC1D2p'
                info.parent = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_3000_noserial_if0_sound_card_1'
                alsa.device_file = '/dev/snd/pcmC1D2p'
                alsa.originating_device = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_3000_noserial_if0_sound_card_1'
                alsa.card = 1 (0x1)
                info.category = 'alsa'
                info.capabilities = { 'alsa' }
                alsa.device = 2 (0x2)
                alsa.type = 'playback'

50: udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_3000_noserial_if0_sound_card_1_alsa _playback_1'
                alsa.device_id = 'USB Audio #1'
                linux.device_file = '/dev/snd/pcmC1D1p'
                info.subsystem = 'sound'
                info.product = 'USB Audio #1 ALSA Playback Device'
                info.udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_3000_noserial_if0_sound_card_1_alsa _playback_1'
                linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0/sound/card1/pcmC1D1p'
                info.parent = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_3000_noserial_if0_sound_card_1'
                alsa.device_file = '/dev/snd/pcmC1D1p'
                alsa.originating_device = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_3000_noserial_if0_sound_card_1'
                alsa.card = 1 (0x1)
                info.category = 'alsa'
                alsa.device = 1 (0x1)
                alsa.type = 'playback'

51: udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_3000_noserial_if0_sound_card_1_alsa _playback_0'
                alsa.device_id = 'USB Audio'
                linux.device_file = '/dev/snd/pcmC1D0p'
                info.subsystem = 'sound'
                info.product = 'USB Audio ALSA Playback Device'
                info.udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_3000_noserial_if0_sound_card_1_alsa _playback_0'
                linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0/sound/card1/pcmC1D0p'
                alsa.device_file = '/dev/snd/pcmC1D0p'
                alsa.card = 1 (0x1)
                info.category = 'alsa'
                alsa.device = 0 (0x0)
                alsa.type = 'playback'

52: udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_3000_noserial_if0_sound_card_1_alsa _capture_0'
                alsa.device_id = 'USB Audio'
                linux.device_file = '/dev/snd/pcmC1D0c'
                info.subsystem = 'sound'
                info.product = 'USB Audio ALSA Capture Device'
                info.udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_3000_noserial_if0_sound_card_1_alsa _capture_0'
                linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0/sound/card1/pcmC1D0c'
                alsa.device_file = '/dev/snd/pcmC1D0c'
                alsa.card = 1 (0x1)
                info.category = 'alsa'
                alsa.device = 0 (0x0)
                alsa.type = 'capture'

53: udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_3000_noserial_if0_sound_card_1_alsa _midi_0'
                linux.device_file = '/dev/snd/midiC1D0'
                info.subsystem = 'sound'
                info.product = 'Creative Technology Ltd. Sound Blaster Extigy ALSA MIDI Device'
                info.udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_3000_noserial_if0_sound_card_1_alsa _midi_0'
                linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0/sound/card1/midiC1D0'
                alsa.device_file = '/dev/snd/midiC1D0'
                alsa.card = 1 (0x1)
                info.category = 'alsa'
                alsa.device = 0 (0x0)
                alsa.type = 'midi'

54: udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_3000_noserial_if0_sound_card_1_alsa _hw_specific_0'
                linux.device_file = '/dev/snd/hwC1D0'
                info.subsystem = 'sound'
                info.product = 'Creative Technology Ltd. Sound Blaster Extigy ALSA hardware specific Device'
                info.udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_3000_noserial_if0_sound_card_1_alsa _hw_specific_0'
                linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0/sound/card1/hwC1D0'
                alsa.device_file = '/dev/snd/hwC1D0'
                alsa.card = 1 (0x1)
                info.category = 'alsa'
                alsa.device = 0 (0x0)
                alsa.type = 'hw_specific'

55: udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_3000_noserial_if0_sound_card_1_alsa _control__1'
                linux.device_file = '/dev/snd/controlC1'
                info.subsystem = 'sound'
                info.product = 'Creative Technology Ltd. Sound Blaster Extigy ALSA Control Device'
                info.udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_3000_noserial_if0_sound_card_1_alsa _control__1'
                linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0/sound/card1/controlC1'
                alsa.device_file = '/dev/snd/controlC1'
                alsa.card = 1 (0x1)
                info.category = 'alsa'
                alsa.type = 'control'

56: udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_3000_noserial_if0_sound_card_1'
                info.subsystem = 'sound'
                info.product = 'Creative Technology Ltd. Sound Blaster Extigy Sound Card'
                info.udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_3000_noserial_if0_sound_card_1'
                linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0/sound/card1'
                info.parent = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_3000_noserial_if0'
                sound.originating_device = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_41e_3000_noserial_if0'
                sound.card_id = 'Creative Technology Ltd. Sound Blaster Extigy'
                sound.card = 1 (0x1)
                info.category = 'sound'
                info.capabilities = { 'sound' }
                ---snip---

I don't see any driver or driver module. Is that the sort of thing ALSA will be doing?

Comment

I'm away from home and my Linux system at this moment, but here is where I think we're headed:

- does your system have an onboard audio chip -- an intel-hda, perhaps? If it does, you will see it in the output of "lspci -v" in a terminal

- if there is an onboard audio chip, does your BIOS have an option to disable it? If so, that would be on the "to do" list

- if you can't disable the onboard audio, then we'll probably need to blacklist the module that drives it

- then we'll need to look at the files in /etc/modprobe.d/ and see if there is one named "alsa-base". If so, it probably needs an edit to set the snd-usb-audio module as the default

More later. If you want to look up Ubuntu's audio troubleshooting guidance in the links above, you will find information about these configuration issues -- even though they are talking about "no sound", the approach for "half sound" is similar.

Comment

OK let's see all the sound cards your system sees:

Code:
                    aplay -l
                    Let's see all the sound kernel modules that are presently loaded:

Code:
                    lsmod | grep snd_
                    Let's see what /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf has for sound configuration:

Code:
                    cat /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
                    Let's see what the existing blacklist looks like:

Code:
                    cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
                    Also, I have no problem running my onboard Intel HDA in parallel with a USB webcam which has a mic, using pulseaudio, so for now let's install the needed pulseaudio packages if they're not on your system:

Code:
                    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install paman pavucontrol phonon pulseaudio
                    Probably some or all of these are already installed -- no problem.
                    Last edited by dibl; May 02, 2012, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Ok, I upgraded to kubuntu 12.04, and XWindows stopped working, so I went hiking in the Rockies. I'm back now, I've fixed the X problem, and the sound symptoms have changed a bit. Now it sometimes gives me stereo when I boot, sometimes doesn't. I thought it was strictly alternating, toggling on each reboot, but then it worked twice in succession and it's just failed twice in succession. My answers below are from a reboot that only gave me mono. Oh, I also disabled the on-board soundcard using the BIOS.
                      OK let's see all the sound cards your system sees:

Code:
                      aplay -l
                      **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
                      card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
                      Subdevices: 1/1
                      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
                      card 2: Extigy [Sound Blaster Extigy], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
                      Subdevices: 0/1
                      card 2: Extigy [Sound Blaster Extigy], device 1: USB Audio [USB Audio #1]
                      card 2: Extigy [Sound Blaster Extigy], device 2: USB Audio [USB Audio #2]
                      Let's see all the sound kernel modules that are presently loaded:
                      Code:
                      lsmod | grep snd_
                      [/quote]
                      snd_wavefront 34737 0
                      snd_usb_audio 101566 4
                      snd_usbmidi_lib 24603 1 snd_usb_audio
                      snd_cs4236 29294 0
                      snd_wss_lib 30063 2 snd_wavefront,snd_cs4236
                      snd_opl3_lib 18863 2 snd_wavefront,snd_cs4236
                      snd_mpu401 13847 0
                      snd_mpu401_uart 13865 3 snd_wavefront,snd_cs4236,snd_mpu401
                      snd_seq_midi 13132 0
                      snd_rawmidi 25424 4 snd_wavefront,snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_ seq_midi
                      snd_hda_codec_hdmi 31775 1
                      snd_hda_intel 32765 2
                      snd_hda_codec 109562 2 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel
                      snd_hwdep 13276 4 snd_wavefront,snd_usb_audio,snd_opl3_lib,snd_hda_c odec
                      snd_seq_midi_event 14475 1 snd_seq_midi
                      snd_pcm 80845 7 snd_usb_audio,snd_cs4236,snd_wss_lib,snd_hda_codec _hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
                      snd_seq 51567 2 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
                      snd_page_alloc 14115 3 snd_wss_lib,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
                      snd_timer 28931 5 snd_wss_lib,snd_opl3_lib,snd_pcm,snd_seq
                      snd_seq_device 14172 4 snd_opl3_lib,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
                      snd 62064 27 snd_wavefront,snd_usb_audio,snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_cs 4236,snd_wss_lib,snd_opl3_lib,snd_mpu401,snd_mpu40 1_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_inte l,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_time r,snd_seq_device

Let's see what /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf has for sound configuration:

Code:
                      cat /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
                      # autoloader aliases
                      install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-0
                      install sound-slot-1 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-1
                      install sound-slot-2 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-2
                      install sound-slot-3 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-3
                      install sound-slot-4 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-4
                      install sound-slot-5 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-5
                      install sound-slot-6 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-6
                      install sound-slot-7 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-7

# Cause optional modules to be loaded above generic modules
                      install snd /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-ioctl32 ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }
                      #
                      # Workaround at bug #499695 (reverted in Ubuntu see LP #319505)
                      install snd-pcm /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-pcm $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-pcm-oss ; : ; }
                      install snd-mixer /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-mixer $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-mixer-oss ; : ; }
                      install snd-seq /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-seq $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-oss ; : ; }
                      #
                      install snd-rawmidi /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-rawmidi $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; : ; }
                      # Cause optional modules to be loaded above sound card driver modules
                      install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-emu10k1-synth ; }
                      install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }

# Load saa7134-alsa instead of saa7134 (which gets dragged in by it anyway)
                      install saa7134 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install saa7134 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist saa7134-alsa ; : ; }
                      # Prevent abnormal drivers from grabbing index 0
                      options bt87x index=-2
                      options cx88_alsa index=-2
                      options saa7134-alsa index=-2
                      options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
                      options snd-intel8x0m index=-2
                      options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
                      options snd-usb-audio index=-2
                      options snd-usb-caiaq index=-2
                      options snd-usb-ua101 index=-2
                      options snd-usb-us122l index=-2
                      options snd-usb-usx2y index=-2
                      # Ubuntu #62691, enable MPU for snd-cmipci
                      options snd-cmipci mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388
                      # Keep snd-pcsp from being loaded as first soundcard
                      options snd-pcsp index=-2
                      # Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
                      options snd-usb-audio index=-2
                      Let's see what the existing blacklist looks like:

Code:
                      cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
                      # This file lists those modules which we don't want to be loaded by
                      # alias expansion, usually so some other driver will be loaded for the
                      # device instead.

# evbug is a debug tool that should be loaded explicitly
                      blacklist evbug

# these drivers are very simple, the HID drivers are usually preferred
                      blacklist usbmouse
                      blacklist usbkbd

# replaced by e100
                      blacklist eepro100

# replaced by tulip
                      blacklist de4x5

# causes no end of confusion by creating unexpected network interfaces
                      blacklist eth1394

# snd_intel8x0m can interfere with snd_intel8x0, doesn't seem to support much
                      # hardware on its own (Ubuntu bug #2011, #6810)
                      blacklist snd_intel8x0m

# Conflicts with dvb driver (which is better for handling this device)
                      blacklist snd_aw2

# causes failure to suspend on HP compaq nc6000 (Ubuntu: #10306)
                      blacklist i2c_i801

# replaced by p54pci
                      blacklist prism54

# replaced by b43 and ssb.
                      blacklist bcm43xx

# most apps now use garmin usb driver directly (Ubuntu: #114565)
                      blacklist garmin_gps

# replaced by asus-laptop (Ubuntu: #184721)
                      blacklist asus_acpi

# low-quality, just noise when being used for sound playback, causes
                      # hangs at desktop session start (Ubuntu: #246969)
                      blacklist snd_pcsp

# ugly and loud noise, getting on everyone's nerves; this should be done by a
                      # nice pulseaudio bing (Ubuntu: #77010)
                      blacklist pcspkr

# EDAC driver for amd76x clashes with the agp driver preventing the aperture
                      # from being initialised (Ubuntu: #297750). Blacklist so that the driver
                      # continues to build and is installable for the few cases where its
                      # really needed.
                      blacklist amd76x_edac

Also, I have no problem running my onboard Intel HDA in parallel with a USB webcam which has a mic, using pulseaudio, so for now let's install the needed pulseaudio packages if they're not on your system:

Code:
                      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install paman pavucontrol phonon pulseaudio
                      Probably some or all of these are already installed -- no problem.
                      It certainly made some changes. I'll try rebooting and let you know if anything has changed.

Comment

Hi,
                        Facing a similar problem with the same hardware, I wake up this thread with the hope to finally find a solution.
                        In my case, I only have the front right and front left speakers working.
                        Even stranger: I have a DVD player sending S/PDIF signal to the extigy via a coaxial cable. When the computer is off, the sound-card works fine and the sound comes out from all the speakers (5.1). As soon as I switch on the computer, there is no more sound from the 2 rear speakers and the center speaker.
                        I've created a topic on the ubuntu forum with all the details I can get about this issue but didn't get any help so far.
                        Digitig, did you find a solution or a workaround for this problem?

Comment

No, I didn't find a solution to the problem. The computer died, and I'm not using the Extigy with the replacement computer.

Comment

Hi, I have similar problem. The analog stereo output works fine, but when I switch output to analog 5.0 or 5.1, the sound is scratchy, but still only stereo and the stereo configuration is not recognized. It means, when I click test button for each speaker, the sound is playing on both front speakers. Also, the sound seems to be a little slower (seems like some 44/48 kHz issue).

The card was recognized and enabled just after I connected it. It seems to be some driver configuration issue, because I use Extigy as external DD decoder from TV to 5.1 speakers and the 5.1 sound is good.
                            Last edited by WizzardSK; Jan 23, 2013, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X