Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me gain access to my BIOS! Please Help!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me gain access to my BIOS! Please Help!

Hi everyone,

I just joined these forums, so hello to everyone!
    I just obtained an old computer, a really OLD computer!!
    I have always considered trying Linux and have now decided to take the plunge! I have decided on Kubuntu because through my homework, Ubuntu seemed the best Linux distro by far and I found that KDE looks a bit more familiar to Windows, so that will make the transfer a bit easier for me!!
    The only problem is that, I have obtain a Kubuntu Live CD, but I can not try it out because the computer will not read the CD first when I boot the computer. I know I have to go in to the BIOS and change the settings so it reads the CD drive before starting Windows, the only problem is I don't know how to get in to the BIOS!!
    In the past, on computers I have used, when you boot computers up, there is usually some message at the beginning when the BIOS is booting up, that says something like, to access BIOS, press F11, for example, but with this BIOS, I don't get anything. It would not matter usually, but the person who gave me this computer has thrown away the manuals he got with computer so I don't have a clue how to access the BIOS so I can not change the relevent settings!!
    The only information I can give you on my BIOS is the following:
    BIOS Manufacturer: Award Software International, Inc.
    Date: 05/17/2001
    Version: 6.00 PG
    Size: 256 KB
    I can give you all the Motherboard info as well, but I don't know if that is needed, so I won't for now!
    Thanks for all your help, helping this total newbie convert to Linux!!
    I look forward to your reply.

Cheers

Re: Help me gain access to my BIOS!!

Its usually either F1 F2 ESC or DEL sepending on your motherboard ...try all ..one will owrk

Comment

Re: Help me gain access to my BIOS!!

Try Ctrl+Alt+Esc
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Re: Help me gain access to my BIOS! Please Help!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help. I found that pressing Del worked!! Now I have managed to change my BIOS to read from the CD drive first at boot up, I can now try Kubuntu!!!

Cheers!

Lucky Luxy

Comment

Working...
        X