X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to download packages via web?

Greets all!
    Prewarning: complete linux n00b here!
    Currently I have Kubuntu installed on my laptop but have no way to get it online (I am at work atm and cant connect my laptop to the work network). However I am trying to install the libxine-extracodecs package to enable mp3 playback. Is there any way I can download the package to a USB key then install them on my laptop off it?

Also, are Ubuntu packages compatible with Kubuntu?
    ~Shiv

Re: Possible to download packages via web?

Yes, you can download that package from here http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/li...ne-extracodecs, then install it with
    sudo dpkg -i libxine-extracodecs_1.1.1+ubuntu1-2_i386.deb

Ubuntu packages should work just fine on Kubuntu, so long as if they're gnome based ones you have the gnome libraries installed too. (Usually dependencies will be automatically installed for you when you try to install things, but if you're having to download, copy and install manually, you should be aware of this.)

Comment

Re: Possible to download packages via web?

Ubuntu and K(de)ubuntu are both based on the same Debian platform. Debian packages all have .deb as "family name".

If you download packages from the internet and store it on e.g. a flashdisk, you should be able to save it on your Kubuntu-system and install it. Methinks you can right-click the .deb package and choose install from the emerging menu.

I hope this helps!

/gaga

Comment

Working...
      X