This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Language Input

I've been jumping around from Ubuntu, to Xubuntu, to Lubuntu and to finally Kubuntu. I really like Kubuntu but there's one thing that's driving me insane and that's language input. I've installed the Japanese translations (that's it would let me install) and iBus and they don't seem to work. I reinstalling Kubuntu and I now have a fresh installation. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me the steps from the very beginning on how to set up language input. Thanks

Hi and welcome to KFN.

I'm not sure since I have never done this (I only use the latin alphabet) but in system settings > locale/place > set it to japanese and the third in the side row system language set it to japanese.
    Maybe make sure you tic the boxes below - "translation", "spelling", "input method" and especially "extra fonts" - there are also 3 tabs in this window - "install", "remove" and "set system language"

HTH

B.R

jonas
    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

This is what you have to do:

Go to System Settings>Locale>System Languages You might get a pop up asking you if you want to install extra stuff...ignore it ans hit "Remind Me Later." Under the install tab, click Japanese, check "Translations" and hit apply. That should get you half way there...go to the Country/Region & Language menu to make sure Japanese is included in the Available Languages list.

Install iBus and add it to your startup list (System Settings>Startup & Shutdown).

An icon should appear in your system tray (you may have to restart first). Right click on the icon and hit Preferences. Go to the Input Method tab and select "Japanese - Anthy" from the pull down menu. there may be more than one Japanese Anthy....choose the one with the Aち icon.

Go to the General tab and configure your hotkey to enable it. If you have a Japanese keyboard, the default will be the normal key.

That should do it.

Comment

I installed the iBus and Japanese translations and added iBus to the start up list but no icon appears. I can go into the KickStart Menu and click on iBus and it will load, but nothing appears. Also, I can enter the iBus preferences from KickStart, but nothing is in the dropdown menu it just says "select an input method". Any idea on what to do?

Comment

I can't do what you said to do, it only gives me the option to add translations". If fact, all languages give me that one option.

Comment

Have a look here:
            http://piao-tech.blogspot.jp/2010/05...a-kubuntu.html

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
              I set it to auto mode (which it already was in the first place) and SCIM and SKIM were never installed in the first place and nothing has changed, no iBus.

Comment

In System Settings>Locale>System Languages under the "Set System Language" tab, you should see Japanese listed there. Click on it and then select ibus from the "Keyboard Input Method" pull down menu in the bottom right hand corner. Have you done that yet?

Comment

I have done that. I found another package called UIM and that seemed to do well instead of iBus, The funny part is, as soon as I got that working, iBus started to work.

Comment

Originally posted by ponygon101 View Post
                    I installed the iBus and Japanese translations and added iBus to the start up list but no icon appears. I can go into the KickStart Menu and click on iBus and it will load, but nothing appears. Also, I can enter the iBus preferences from KickStart, but nothing is in the dropdown menu it just says "select an input method". Any idea on what to do?
                    It's probably too late now, but if you click the down arrow to the right of the "Select an input method" item, you should see an option to install "Japanese - Anthy."

I had little trouble installing Japanese language support to Kubuntu 12.04. It's gotten so much easier (and less buggy) compared with, say, 8.04.
                    Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
                    Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

Working...
                    X