This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transparent Menu Help Plz

Hello everyone, I have just made the jump to Linux (Kubuntu 11.10) to be exact.
    I am wondering if I can make the menu (not just the bar) more transparent.
    I can't find anything in the menu's that will do it. Is it possible ?
    Please bear in mind, that whilst I am not afraid of using the terminal, I don't have much experience.
    So if anyone can describe how to do this in 'laymens' terms, it would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks - Mark (bipolaric)

(Assuming your video driver supports 3D acceleration of course)

System Settings > Desktop Effects > All Effects > Translucency > enable it and go to its settings - there you can set translucency for either all kinds of menus or each separately.
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Transparent Menu Help Plz.....Thank You For Your Help

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
      (Assuming your video driver supports 3D acceleration of course)

System Settings > Desktop Effects > All Effects > Translucency > enable it and go to its settings - there you can set translucency for either all kinds of menus or each separately.

Thanks

Comment

Hello Again,

I gave what you said a try, and still it wont make the menu bar transparent, 'the menu with 'Applications & Computer' ect ect. I can't seem to make it transparent. It's the menu 'when you click the 'K' that I want transparent.

Any Ideas ? ......... Thanks Again - Mark

Comment

I don't think you can make the white area (with the lists of applications) transparent. The background (e.g. where it says Search: ... User (user) on host ... kubuntu) should be transparent.

Comment

Okay, bit of a bummer that, I think it'd look quite nice.
            Thanks for all your help.

Mark

Comment

Transparent Menu/Launcher

The KDE menu is a plasmoid / plasma-widget : http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma .

There are many alternatives for the default menu.

Part of the official KDE release: plasma-widget-lancelot.

Description-en: lancelot widget for Plasma
              Lancelot is an application launcher menu (or ALI) for Plasma designed to
              provide a place from which all your jobs begin. It provides quick access
              to applications, places, documents, contacts and system information.
              This package is part of the KDE Plasma addons module.
              Homepage: http://plasma.kde.org/

From the KDE-Look.org: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=146098

Description:
              This plasmoid shows a menu of the installed applications, similar to Lancelot but much simpler. The purpose of the simpleness is to have a faster plasmoid which also loads faster. The plasmoid also has a list of favorites and you can search applications by application name. There are "Lock Session", "Leave" and "Switch User" buttons.

The plasmoid can be completely manipulated with the keyboard only except for the buttons at the bottom wich must be clicked with the mouse. The menu can be browsed with the arrow keys, a favorite can be added with the + or = key and removed with the - key, to search an application by its name, just start typing the name.

This plasmoid is entirely written in QML + JavaScript.

Note: this plasmoid requires KDE 4.8.0 or higher.

Also from the KDE-Apps.org: http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=144078
              Description:
              Takeoff is a full screen menu inspired in the aspect of Slingshot and the OS X Launchpad menu but adapted to the KDE users in a plasmoid.

Binaries can be found from the PPA: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas?n...widget-takeoff
              Last edited by OneLine; Mar 11, 2012, 01:54 PM.
              Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
              - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Thanks, that looks AMAZING !!!!! , What Version Of Kubuntu Uses KDE 4.8.0 or higher ?
                Please Let Me Know So I Can Download.

Mark

Comment

The first one, Lancelot, runs happily in current versions of Kubuntu ... I can't remember why I'm not currently using it and I'm a bit surprised I forgot about alternative menus when posting back to you!

If you prefer that second launcher, 4.8.0 is standard in the next version of Kubuntu, 12.04 "Precise". Many posters here are running the beta with few problems (I was going to say no problems but there have been a few - browse the threads in the relevant forum). I also think you can backport 4.8.0 to 11.10 "Oneiric".

Comment

oops sorry, I just read you post properly, my apologies, I was trying to sort the kids out.

Many Thanks - Mark

Comment

Thanks OneLine,

I updated Kde, but it looks no different, could you be a little more specific as to how I install these 'plasmoids', I am a noob after all.
                      Also, I have another question about something that has been really troubling me. When I first saw the latest 'Kubuntu' online I
                      immediatley wanted it, because it showed these 'plasmoids' you have pictured, and I was a little perplexed as to why they were not
                      there, and I wondered if I had done something wrong. However, you have cleared that up for me. Once I know how to install and use
                      these 'plasmoids', my PC will look great. Now for the troubling bit....I recently bought a Laptop of ebay, and the Graphics were not as
                      powerful as it stated in the 'review' online. I will give you the exact specs in a minute. When I installed Kubuntu 11.10 everything seemed
                      to boot up okay, but the windows 'decoration' 'Max/Min/Close' did not appear, and this I think was the Graphics not being up to scratch.
                      The Spec of the Laptop Is.......1.4Ghz Mobile Celeron
                      736mb RAM (Soon To Be Upgraded To 1 Gig)
                      40Gb Hard Drive (Also Soon To Be Upgraded)
                      Intel 855GMA (Intergrated) 32mb

What I really 'REALLY' want to know is, is there any way at all I can have Kubuntu 11.10, with Kde 4.8 (And Plasmoids) working ?
                      If I need to 'tweak' graphics through the terminal, if anyone can tell me what to type at the prompt, I will gladly do it, I wish that someone
                      could please help me with this issue, as I don't really want to have wasted my money. I will take 'ALL' the help I can get.

Thanks Again - Mark

Comment

Originally posted by bipolaric View Post
                        The Spec of the Laptop Is.......1.4Ghz Mobile Celeron
                        736mb RAM (Soon To Be Upgraded To 1 Gig)
                        40Gb Hard Drive (Also Soon To Be Upgraded)
                        Intel 855GMA (Intergrated) 32mb
                        Ok, first off I have none to little experince with Intel GPU chips, *so this is my small warning/heads-up*, you possibly would like to read up some on drivers and stability with effects such as transparency and KDE. Once done or confirmed here on KFN, below is the how-to CLI way

Thanks OneLine,

I updated Kde, but it looks no different, could you be a little more specific as to how I install these 'plasmoids', I am a noob after all.
                        Also, I have another question about something that has been really troubling me. When I first saw the latest 'Kubuntu' online I
                        immediatley wanted it, because it showed these 'plasmoids' you have pictured, and I was a little perplexed as to why they were not
                        there, and I wondered if I had done something wrong. However, you have cleared that up for me. Once I know how to install and use
                        these 'plasmoids', my PC will look great. Now for the troubling bit....I recently bought a Laptop of ebay, and the Graphics were not as
                        powerful as it stated in the 'review' online. I will give you the exact specs in a minute. When I installed Kubuntu 11.10 everything seemed
                        to boot up okay, but the windows 'decoration' 'Max/Min/Close' did not appear, and this I think was the Graphics not being up to scratch.
                        To add one of the default plasmoids; right click your desktop and unlock widgets(if they're not already) right click again and add widget/plasmoid, you should get a horisontal bar at bottom of the screen with the default plasmoids/widgets, drag-n-drop and you'll get them on the desktop. Same procedure on a panel will add them to the panel.

You can add plasmoids that aren't there or that you find on kde-look, those considered stable enough are in the repositories but for other reasons not installed by default. To install these they have the syntax "plasma-widget-name-of-widget".

To install 4.8 KDE to your 11.10 Kubuntu you could use the backports repository to add this CLI way is;

Code:
                        sudo apt-add-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
                        Type in your password *this will not show* and confirm with enter. It'll grab the key and add backports to your repositories.

Code:
                        sudo apt-get update
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get upgrade
                        Log out/in to have the new install going, or reboot if needed.

Ok, so far the KDE 4.8, not yet the transparency.

We need to add another repository for that as it's not (yet) implemented as default. (*NOTE* There was a bug, in oxygen-transparent Oneiric Ocelot, but it should be gone by now*)

Sumski have a excellent and up to date ppa with all those goodies!!

same as before
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-add-repository ppa:hrvojes/kde-goodies
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get update
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get install kde-style-oxygen-transparent
                        So now you have transparency in the settings, go to - system settings > application settings > Style > Graphical component (my translations not sure it's the correct EN-US/UK naming) Mind add transparency in the config menu.

What I really 'REALLY' want to know is, is there any way at all I can have Kubuntu 11.10, with Kde 4.8 (And Plasmoids) working ?
                        If I need to 'tweak' graphics through the terminal, if anyone can tell me what to type at the prompt, I will gladly do it, I wish that someone
                        could please help me with this issue, as I don't really want to have wasted my money. I will take 'ALL' the help I can get.

Thanks Again - Mark
                        Extra note - As I find Muon and apper not really up to the task to add especially plasmoids, I prefer it the CLI way. Though I never remember the exact names of the packages, aptitude have a better search function then apt-get, I use aptitude to search and apt-get to install/remove to add aptitude;

Code:
                        sudo apt-get install aptitude
                        Now you can search without the full name of a package with

Code:
                        aptitude search plasma-widget
                        *list of all plasmoids in the repository*

Hope that helps, B.R

Jonas

links to ppa's
                        https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/backports
                        https://launchpad.net/~hrvojes/+archive/kde-goodies
                        Last edited by Jonas; Mar 20, 2012, 01:49 AM. Reason: typos
                        ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                        Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                        Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                        Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                        - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                        >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Working...
                        X