This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RSS readers article "the best" also Akregator mention for KDE

The article discusses what the writer thinks is the best reader which is RSSOwl. Others are reviewed including Akregator(the main criticism of it not being that it does not do a good job, but that it doesn't sync with Googlereader).

BTW, there are a lot of things that Google has that can't be accessed by a variety of Linux apps, not only including KDE stuff.

http://lifehacker.com/5886059/the-be...tion-for-linux

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
    Others are reviewed including Akregator(the main criticism of it not being that it does not do a good job, but that it doesn't sync with Googlereader).
    Google Reader sync is the most important feature for me, for the same reason it appeals to others: maintaining status across multiple devices.

At one time there was an effort to add Google Reader sync to Akregator, but that project appears to have died a few years ago.

Comment

The whole thing about "Google" stuff is puzzeling to me.

The comments from the developers at places like KDE is that there are things "going on in Google" which they can't get a handle on, possibly because Google doesn't let people "know" or possibly because they are "proprietary".

Somthing that I posted elsewhere about Kcalendar is that there was, for the last year or so, complaints that one could not get at "other" calendars than the "first" calendar.

Apparently, that has been taken care of but, there is still the thing about recurring events. When one does a recurring event in Kcalendar it appears in Google calendar as the "original" event. All is well and good, except that if one then turns the Goolge version into a recurring even then it literally "goes back" to Kcalendar and all of the Kcalendar items, in that series, disappear in less than the blink of an eye. One can actually watch Akonadi syncing and then the items disappear from Kcalendar.

So then the question arises as to what is "going on".

Why is it that two seemingly disparate items should "not work" with Google such as a calendar and an RSSfeed?

When one looks at the calendar in Evolution, which "works" with Google calendar recurring items, the calendars look "remarkably similar". Now, the notification bubbles in Evolution are different than in Google calendar but is that because they are there "as a cosmetic layer" over the Google bubbles.

One of the comments about RSSOwl is that it is "java".

Okaaaayyyy........

So....

Is the stuff that a Linux thing has to interact with at Google a "java" thing?

Is there some "propietary" stuff going on with Google that KDE can't interact with a la DRM stuff for Amarok unless the user wants to add it?

It is all very puzzling and a situation which may be outside the "philosophical" or "legal" or "whatever" control of KDE that an app like Evolution is not bound by... puzzling.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

The Google Reader API, from what I can tell, remains unofficially documented. Plenty of people have reverse-engineered the protocol and you can -- of course -- Google your way through a variety of descriptive posts and sample code.

Dunno about the calendar thing.

Comment

naaahhhhh that is waaaayyyyy beyond the old woodsmoker....im just an app and hardware kinda guy.

I'll leave that to you smart folks.

woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
          X