This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox won't restart -- thinks it's already running

Ever since the recent upgrade to Firefox 10, when trying to restart Firefox I get the message, "Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system".

But checking with top or System Monitor shows that NO Firefox process is running.

Restarting the X-server with Ctl-Alt-Bksp clears the problem temporarily and allows Firefox to start, but after shutting Firefox down the next restart encounters the same problem.

I thought it was a bug that would be fixed in Firefox 10.0.1, but this latest update didn't clear it.

Deleting or renaming the .mozilla (hidden) folder will do the trick. It will cause a new .mozilla folder to be created, though you may have to go the trick of resetting Firefox to the way you had it before the upgrade to 10
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

try to delete the cookies and try again

Comment

Before deleting your profile, try the suggestions below. It seems you may need to delete .parentlock

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_in...file_lock_file

Comment

Tried deleting .parentlock. It works once, then .parentlock is regenerated, preventing the next startup. I suspect Firefox is not deleting it on exit.

My lock file looks kinda strange:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 paul paul 14 2012-02-14 15:19 lock -> 127.0.1.1:+682

Comment

Not so strange. Firefox is working fine here.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 ronw ronw 15 2012-02-14 08:49 lock -> 127.0.1.1:+2516

Comment

Working...
            X