This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Create a link to download a file

I have a Ubuntu Server setup to host my website and I need some help. On Windows I created a folder in the inetpub folder and coulde store zip files I wanted to send people links to so they could download from me. Now that I have moved to the Ubuntu Server 11.10 I don't know where to begin. I have searched and searched and can not find anyhting. I really hope someone with help me with this.

Is it about the same way? Can I just create a directory and put the files in it and send a link? I tried creating a Directory in www but that did not work, i get the following error when I tried.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /JP/Friends.mpg.zip on this server.
    Apache/2.2.20 (Ubuntu) Server at jason*&%$ll.com Port 80
    Computer are like air conditioners: they stop working when you open windows!<br /><br />Linux : Because you wouldnt put a Porsche&#39;s engine in a Pinto<br /><br />case : HAF 932<br />mother board: ASUS p5e3<br />processor: Intel e8500 3.16 GHz<br />RAM: 8 GB Corsair DDR3 1600<br />power supply: Corsair 850W<br />video card: GeForce 8400

Re: Create a link to download a file

It should be fairly easy to find step-by-step instructions for installing and setting up Apache. Here's an example.

Comment

The site is up I just want to be able to create a like to a file so I can email the link that the recipient can just click and the download will start.
      Computer are like air conditioners: they stop working when you open windows!<br /><br />Linux : Because you wouldnt put a Porsche&#39;s engine in a Pinto<br /><br />case : HAF 932<br />mother board: ASUS p5e3<br />processor: Intel e8500 3.16 GHz<br />RAM: 8 GB Corsair DDR3 1600<br />power supply: Corsair 850W<br />video card: GeForce 8400

Comment

I have very limited experience with configuring Apache servers, so I'm just going to speak generically about UNIX systems. First, *nix is what the Internet was built on, therefore ANYTHING windoze can do, *nix invented it--and, generally speaking, can do it much better.

Based on your OP, you're getting this when you try to create a directory:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /JP/Friends.mpg.zip on this server.
        Apache/2.2.20 (Ubuntu) Server at jason*&%$ll.com Port 80
        That's a permissions issue. If you're the administrator of the server, you need to poke around in its user permissions and figure out how to give yourself permission to do things like create directories or files.

But there's something contradictory here. /JP/Friends.mpg.zip is not a directory, it's a file--unless you actually meant to give a directory the name of Friends.mpg.zip inside the /JP parent directory--so I don't see how you got the above error message when you attempted to CREATE a directory. If you're getting that error when you attempt to access (how? via web browser? or what?) the file named Friends.mpg.zip, located in the /JP directory, again, it's a permissions issue.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I have a file named Friends.mpg.zip inside the JP directory. I want to be able to email a link
          "www.JasonProcell.com/JP/Friends.mpg.zip" so that the file can be downloaded by clicking the link. Like I said on windows this was very easy to do I just create the JP Directory inside the inetpub directory and added zip files in it and could send out links for people to click on and they could download without any problem. I just don't know how to accomplish this now with Linux.

Comment

I have set:
            drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 2012-01-20 21:56 JP

on the JP Directory

Comment

The problem is that the ownership of the directory (and so, any of it's contents) is 'root root'. No one, other than root, is allowed to access this folder/files. That's the 'reason'. The 'solution' is to set the group to *something* that others are part of. I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell you what that would be, but it is going to be required.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                The problem is that the ownership of the directory (and so, any of its contents) is 'root root'. No one, other than root, is allowed to access this folder/files. That's the 'reason'.
                No--the permissions are set as read, write and execute for everyone:

drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 2012-01-20 21:56 JP
                so the ownership and group are irrelevant. At least on normal *nix systems.
                Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I have done two things. I had first just zipped the file so I moved it to a folder named Friends and zipped the folder. Then after installing Ubuntu Desktop I changed Group and Others to Read and write on the files it's self no the JP Directory. I thought it would inherit the permissions but I guess it didn't, maybe I should have used the -r switch but I didn't. Now by clicking JasonProcell.com/JP/Friends.zip I can download the file!:-)

Thanks to everyone for all the help with this!!!
                  Jason

Comment

Working...
                  X