This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED]Firefox wont install

Using Kubuntu 11.1. When I try to install Firefox from available applications, install stops with the message 'unable to obtain package system'...
    I have just restarted the computer and there is nothing running.
    Then pops up the Crash Reporting Assistant, which stops at 'unable to install Debug Symbols
    Using Linux only for a few years, using mostly mouse on GUI (sorry gurus). Kubuntu 19.04 beta on home-built: GigaByte board - AMD Phenom II, 3000 6 core, RAM 4 Gb,

Re: Firefox wont install

Not a solution to the specific problem, but you could try installing Firefox from the command line:

$ sudo apt-get install firefox

Get to the command line via Alt+F2, konsole; or Kmenu > Applications > System > Terminal. If that works, then Muon may need some attention.

Comment

I ran the command you suggested and nothing happened.
      I don't yet know who Muon is nor how to give her more attention.
      Using Linux only for a few years, using mostly mouse on GUI (sorry gurus). Kubuntu 19.04 beta on home-built: GigaByte board - AMD Phenom II, 3000 6 core, RAM 4 Gb,

Comment

Muon is the new default package manager in Kubuntu. A graphical frontend to the underlying tools that do the heavy lifting of installing, removing, configuring programs. Any joy with:

$ sudo apt-get update

(lots of scrolling output), then

$ sudo apt-get install kubuntu-firefox-installer

Post any errors here.

Comment

Originally posted by GranPaSmurf
          install stops with the message 'unable to obtain package system'...
          This suggests to me that there might some problem with dpkg, or your source repositories. If the commands that ronw gave don't help, then let's see the output of these commands in a terminal window:

Code:
          cat /etc/apt/sources.list
          Code:
          cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list
          Code:
          sudo dpkg --configure -a

Comment

ronw,

To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
            See "man sudo_root" for details.

granpasmurf@granpasmurf-OptiPlex-GX150:~$ sudo
            usage: sudo -h | -K | -k | -L | -V
            usage: sudo -v [-AknS] [-g groupname|#gid] [-p prompt] [-u user name|#uid]
            usage: sudo -l[l] [-AknS] [-g groupname|#gid] [-p prompt] [-U user name] [-u
            user name|#uid] [-g groupname|#gid] [command]
            usage: sudo [-AbEHknPS] [-C fd] [-g groupname|#gid] [-p prompt] [-u user
            name|#uid] [-g groupname|#gid] [VAR=value] [-i|-s] [<command>]
            usage: sudo -e [-AknS] [-C fd] [-g groupname|#gid] [-p prompt] [-u user
            name|#uid] file ...
            granpasmurf@granpasmurf-OptiPlex-GX150:~$ apt-get update
            E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
            E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/
            E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
            E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
            granpasmurf@granpasmurf-OptiPlex-GX150:~$

Comment

GPS,

You entered:

$ sudo apt-get update

on one line and what you pasted is the result?

It looks like you entered "$ sudo", then entered "$ apt-get update".

Comment

Indeed I did. First I used the string you gave, this is the result:

To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
                See "man sudo_root" for details.

granpasmurf@granpasmurf-OptiPlex-GX150:~$ $ sudo apt-get update
                $: command not found

Then I split the command exactly as you saw in my previous post. You are right.

Comment

OK, I think I see the problem. Don't enter the "$" in your command, just "sudo apt-get update" without the quotes (and if that works, the follow up command to install firefox).

Including the command prompt in an example, like:

$ command option something

is an old habit. The "$" is the command prompt you see on your screen, and shouldn't be repeated. dibl's method of posting commands is probably clearer.

Comment

lots of scrolling, then:

Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com oneiric-backports/universe Translation-en
                    E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

Comment

Looks like dibl was correct in reply 4, the package database is confused. Run the suggested command:

Code:
                      sudo dpkg --configure -a
                      Note that there are two dashes/hyphens in front of "--configure". If that command completes without any errors, try the apt-get update again. If you get errors, post the output of the 3 commands mentioned in dibl's comment.

Comment

Wow! Lots of stuff doing lots of stuff!
                        It appears to be finished; it is back to the user name line. Should I try the Firefox install again now or should I restart the machine first? I am almost afraid to touch anything.

Comment

Hey, guys! I re-ran the sudo apt-get update which completed quickly. Then I tried to install Firefox once again, it installed promptly with no error messages!
                          Thanks to you both. Now I move on to trying other things that are new to me. That means I will probably be back...soon.

Comment

I think this issue is solved, resolved. How do I mark it as such?

Comment

Glad to hear it worked.

I think the proper way to mark the thread is to go to your original post, click Modify, then edit the subject.

Comment

Working...
                              X