Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mysterious "disk full" (?? .xsession-errors flooded by nepomuk messages ??)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mysterious "disk full" (?? .xsession-errors flooded by nepomuk messages ??)

I having all kinds of "fun" with nepomuk and strigi. lol

So I had my paritition fill up overnite with error messages from nepomukservicestub in the .xsession-errors file... that's about 20 GB. Seems there are similar "fixed"(??) bugs out there on bugs.kde.org, but this seemed like a new one so I submitted it: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=288825

Anyway, I googled a workaround which was to do:

Code:
    rm .xsession-errors ; ln -s /dev/null .xsession-errors
    ...thus dumping all messages logged to that file into the void.

But here is the weird thing... after doing this, a few hours later I was getting "disk full" warnings again. Dolphin showed 0% free space, but when I looked for a large file, I couldn't find it. I used the tool "filelight" very handy for finding what is gobbling up space in a file system, but it showed about 18GB (more than 55%) free space -- more specifically it only found about 12GB actually used.

When I tried to do a restart, plasma crashed, bringing up the crash/bug report wizard... which failed to find/install the needed debug symbols/packages/whatnot -- not too surprising as was somewhere in the middle of a shutdown.

Anyway, booting to a different ubuntu partition and looking at the kubuntu partition, found plenty of free space. Rebooting into kubuntu partition, everything now seems normal.

Anyone have any insight as to what is going on here? I'm guessing that just maybe the process writing to .xsession-errors still somehow held onto a bad file pointer of some kind, pointing to the a "non-existent" .xsession-errors file, filling the partition with a giant file that did not show up in the folder hierarchy -- although some low-level system must have know it existed, and know the partition was "full".

I suspect it is possible that now that I have re-booted, the link to /dev/null will work and I won't have this problem again... remains to be seen.

Aside from shutting down nepomuck & strigi and falling back to kfind (which I may do... nothing but headaches so far with strigi desktop search)...

...does anyone have any thoughts on best way to deal with the .xsessionserrors spam? Should the link to /dev/null I have set up be a good way to deal with it?

[update: so far so good, Dolphin free space holding steady now... as fast as it "filled up" before... i think I'd have lost 1 or 2 GB of free space by now]

I realise this is an older post but I'm having similar problems too (though on a much smaller scale).

Every day I start my PC the .xsession-errors file quickly grows to around 80Mb. I thought this was large until I googled around and found a few unfortunate people are coping with .xsession-errors files exceeding 1Tb(!) and quite a few have files in hundreds of Mb: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1517991 ... some good advice and warnings are on that page.

In my case the problem seems to be related to the nepomuk/soprano/strigi file indexing service in connection with a large pdf text file I have and it dumps the entire file into the .xsession-errors file.

It seems as if the developers have left error reporting turned on in verbose mode and every little nit-picking error is reported in the .xsession-errors file.

BTW, I'm using Kubuntu 12.04 on Linux Core2Duo 3.2.0-26-generic-pae #41-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 14 16:45:14 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux.
    Last edited by Rod J; Jul 05, 2012, 09:58 PM. Reason: Adding info
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Try one of these approaches:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...5&postcount=12
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...26&postcount=4

As for the underlying issue, I've noticed that in 12.10, my .xsession-errors file is much smaller. Finally.

Comment

Working...
      X