This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resolved My computer opens with 'sound off'. Kubuntu Natty, KDE 4.6.2

When I open my computer, the volume is disabled by default. How do I change the configuration so that my computer opens with the volume enabled by default? If this is a grub edit, I do not know how to edit the grub. Please advise by example? Thank you.

Re: My computer opens with 'sound off'. Kubuntu Natty, KDE 4.6.2

With the sound enabled, go into system settings/ startup and shutdown and ensure you select the startup option of remembering the last session.

Comment

Dear Liquidator,

I made sure the mute button was unchecked and sound working. I logged off and re-engaged. When I checked for sound, it was muted as before.

Here is the path I followed: System Settings>System Administration>Startup and Shutdown>Session Management> On Login> Restore previous session.

'Restore previous session' was already ticked, but I clicked on another radio button, then back on 'Restore previous session' then 'Apply' to set the instruction. I then Logged out and Logged back in again. When the system opened, sound was muted again.

The reason for the detailed description is because you recommended 'ensure you select the startup option of remembering the last session', while the option on my computer is 'Restore previous session'. I wanted to make sure I was setting the configuration in the proper place.

Thanks friend.

Comment

You have gone to the right setting - I was on a windows box when I answered your post so I knew I had probably not got the terminology quite right.

If you start your computer with the live cd what happens then?

Have you upgraded from an earlier KDE version?

If the live CD works, you could try renaming the hidden files (in dolphin select view/show hidden files) that start with kmix in /home/.kde/share/config. That will restore your kmix settings to "as new" and might just fix your problem - especially if your settings are quite mature.

HTH

Ian

Comment

Alternately, try instructing KMix not to remember your volume setting. See my reply to a post about a similar problem.

Comment

Dear Mr. Riley:

I don't know that I understand why that works, but it does. Thanks so much. I have been working this problem for about a year, off and on. The same thing happens when I open Xine, however Xine seems to be fazing out now, so it doesn't look like I will resolve that issue. You, who help us noobies, are so very much appreciated.

Comment

I finally remembered where I saw this workaround. I posted more info in the Bugs forum.

Comment

Working...
              X