This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Trouble changing Log-In screen

I went to change my log-in screen from the default to one I 'install' from the 'Get New Themes' option.

I made sure I had the X in the 'Use Themed Greeter' on the general tab; then I open the 'Themed' tab, and use the Get New Stuff to obtain a couple samples. Then I verify they are installed with the bullet next to installed and then closed and they are not on the list.

I then deleted the default and un-installed an reinstalled the two options I had chosen for a choice and verified once again that they were installed but they still do not appear in the listing area under the Theme tab. And of course the default is gone now too.

I hope I am missing something easy or I'm doing something wrong but I appreciate the help in advance.
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3: ATI Fire-Pro V4800; Phenom II X4 970 3.5 Ghz; G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 4 x 4GB; WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB;CM 690 case w/9 fans and 6-switch rheobus plus 2 optical drives [ROM & RW]

Re: Trouble changing Log-In screen

In order to install new themes, the installer has to write to places that only the administrative user has permission to access. So, you're going to have to run System Settings as the administrator, i.e. from a terminal:

$ sudo systemsettings

Then click on "Login Screen," go to the "Theme" tab, click on the "Get New Themes" button, etc.

In order to get the standard "horos" kdm theme back, reinstall kdm:

$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install --reinstall kdm

Comment

Re: [Solved] Trouble changing Log-In screen

Thx eco2geek, that worked great
      Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3: ATI Fire-Pro V4800; Phenom II X4 970 3.5 Ghz; G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 4 x 4GB; WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB;CM 690 case w/9 fans and 6-switch rheobus plus 2 optical drives [ROM & RW]

Comment

Re: Trouble changing Log-In screen

Originally posted by eco2geek
        $ sudo systemsettings
        Actually, in order not to [potentially] hose your user account when launching a GUI application from the console, use kdesudo. So, the command should be:
        Code:
        kdesudo systemsettings
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X