X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baffled by wi-fi

Hi
    After installing Kubuntu 11.04 I realized that it had not loaded a module for my built in wi-fi card. I poked about a bit but didn't see any way of doing this from the GUI. I didn't want give up so I tried a few different USB wi-fi devices- nothing was recognized. Then I thought that I could use a windows driver to download the proper packages but apparently even ndiswrapper isn't included on the CD. So I can't "sudo apt-get" until I have a network connection and I can't have a network connection until I can ."sudo apt-get". Am I missing something?
    My usual distro is PCLinuxOS, on the same machine it boots live or from HD and connects automatically so there's nothing that's incompatible with Linux.

Thank you
    Frank

Re: Baffled by wi-fi

Hi Frank...

Welcome to the forums

You mentioned you have a built-in wireless chipset or card. Could you open a terminal and run:

Code:
    lspci
    and post the results?

Also, did Jockey (otherwise known as "Hardware Drivers") give you any proprietary driver options? You can view Ubuntu's version of this program here.

Regards...
    Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Hi
      lspci reports the device as "Broadcom 4318 (Air Force One 54g)" ; I've also tried USB and PcCards by Linksys, Dell etc. without success. I wonder if it would help if I took the back off the laptop and installed an Intel-based chipset?
      jockey reports no proprietary drivers are in use and that it is unable to update it's indexes because there is no Internet connection- no surprise!

Thank you
      Frank

Comment

An Intel-based chipset would have an open source driver. I did it on my HP netbook, which originally had a Broadcom chipset.

edit: Don't try this at home on an HP machine - HP whitelists some or most WLAN cards in BIOS on netbooks and laptops. I have no idea why, but I had to find a hacked BIOS with the whitelist removed to get the Intel 6200 card in this netbook to work.
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

The 4318 is a not a "legacy" chip and so requires the b43 driver. You should make sure that the wl driver is not loaded. IF lsmod shows the wl driver in the listing you should blacklist it. Otherwise, you can
          sudo modprobe -r b43
          then do
          sudo iwlist scanning
          to see if your wireless shows up. If it does you can use yur network manager to configure it.

P.S. -- I forgot to add, if b43 does not work then perhaps you may have to install the b43-fwcutter first, but to do that you need a cable connection, since your wireless is not working.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Sorry if this sounds really stupid, but did you notice that the network manager is now a plasma-widget and does not appear in the system tray anymore? You have to add it to you taskbar or desktop manually. It took me a while to figure that out...

Comment

Originally posted by Chopstick
              Sorry if this sounds really stupid, but did you notice that the network manager is now a plasma-widget and does not appear in the system tray anymore? You have to add it to you taskbar or desktop manually. It took me a while to figure that out...
              ? on what ver. hear on 10.04 & 11.04 it is still in the system tray ?

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

11.04 - at least on mine, which is a clean install. KDE 4.6.2.

Comment

Working...
                X