This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Booting Questions

when dual booting with windows, naturally i see the generic interface showing which OS to boot to. Windows is first. I have a couple questions.

How can i make LInux be first on the list, so it defaults to boot after 30 seconds for those times i just want to powerup and walk away for a few?

Is there a better interface to choose boot options where i can use my mouse instead of keyboard?. I'm just not a keyboard kinda guy unless i'm typing text. Most everything else is done with my mouse and i'd much prefer to keep it that way as this is a time repeating annoyance to me, would be nice if there was a decent looking screen where i can pick one.

Re: Dual Booting Questions

Originally posted by f1refly
    when dual booting with windows, naturally i see the generic interface showing which OS to boot to. Windows is first. I have a couple questions.

How can i make LInux be first on the list, so it defaults to boot after 30 seconds for those times i just want to powerup and walk away for a few?
    this seams strange to me ....every time I'v done a dual/malty boot install the linux has been first on the grub boot list?

please tell how you installed .......was it a wubi ....(install IN windows) or a conventional install?

and yes you can make linux first ....but how will depend on the boot loader and how you installed .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

i think i just installed it off of USB drive. I have 2 SSD drives. currently Kubuntu on a second SSD drive, but i may later reinstall it to the same windows drive.
      However Windows is what shows up first on the top of the list and i always have to click the down arrow key within 30 seconds so i can boot to Linux.
      Kinda annoying cause i only use Windows for gaming and specific apps.

So i'd either like to make Linux show up first, or at least use an interface where i can click on Linux to boot using only my mouse. seems a minor thing but it gets old and sometimes i like to just press power on my machine and come back to my PC later with the OS already bootup ready to go.
      But since i dual booted, i have to sit there and wait so i can select Linux.

Comment

pleas post the contents of /boot/grub/grub.cfg

do NOT edit this file the one to edit is /etc/default/grub and change the line GRUB_DEFAULT=0
        to the menu entry in /boot/grub/grub.cfg that you want to boot first. ....0 is the first menu entry 1 the second and so on ..... then after you edit the /etc/default/grub run
        Code:
        sudo update-grub
        hear is a read http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

this is assuming you are using grub2 as your boot loader

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
        X