X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kaffeine black screen & no audio

Hi all,

have quite a big problem.

Had to get a little bit "advanced" video player (playlists etc.). Found Kaffeine - seems like nice video player.
    There is just one problem - it does not work!

What I noticed
    • It doesn't matter what kind of file I open ==> screen is black.
    • Something isn't right with Settings tab!
      I have only 2 options:
      • Configure Shortcuts
      • Configure Kaffeine
    • When I open something lower panel (where you can forward video) is going in some random increments. And it is greyed out! (See attachment)
    • Technical:
      I have Intel Pentium D 820 2.8GHz. So, 40% is too much for DVDRip quality movie..

Searched in forums found only few posts (related somehow probably) --->
      Old post 1

Originally posted by GreyGeek
      I don't run Kaffeine, but like most of these video players it must have a "preference" or "configuration" or "settings" menu option in which you can change the type of sound device .... ALSA, your specific chip, some file in /dev/.., etc.
      Experiment with that setting till you get sound. You may have to restart Kaffeine after each change.
      Don't have that!

Old post 2

I now find that Kaffeine no longer works, ie black screen and no sound.
      I am hoping that both of these problems are related to me using the wrong video driver. I would like to know how to get the correct video driver for my card so that Kaffeine, Gimp (and GoogleEarth) work correctly.
      I haven't enabled additional drivers for my video card. I doubt that Kaffeine need them (or am I wrong) ?

Old post 3:
      There is something about Xine. Do I need install additionally this called "xine" in order to work Kaffeine?

Video player (Dragon player) plays all video files fine. No problems so far.

Please help, I don't have A CLUE how to fix this?!

I posted a little bit detailed post in Kubuntu Forums.
    Attached Files

Re: Kaffeine black screen & no audio

I'm not sure if I can help but I have installed one Kubuntu version or another many times. Each time kaffeine is the program that gives me most trouble.

Whenever I tried to play a video or sound file I got an error message which looked something like "kaffeine cannot find demux plugin for MRL", large white text on a black screen and the progress bar was greyed out.

This thread - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1482558 - on the main Ubuntu forums gave me the answer:

sudo apt-get install libxine1-all-plugins

It's worked for me everytime except once and that installation has long gone. As you'll see it helped quite a few others too. You'll probably find that installing libxine1-all-plugins will install a number of other xine related files too. I also found that all other media programs worked correctly, it was just kaffeine that refused to play any files. By the way, my settings menu is like yours, just two entries, yet kaffeine works perfectly.

I know that your problem isn't the same as mine was but I think what I've suggested is worth a try.

Comment

Re: Kaffeine black screen & no audio

Yes, I had googled somewhere that:

Code:
      sudo apt-get install libxine1-all-plugins
      And executed it, but it didn't seem have an effect (at least instantly)

Then I did watch 2 TV series of 43min with Dragon player, and just checked if something changed with Kaffeine.
      Voila - it plays all video fails I try!

Wierd.. Why didn't it play instantly after I applied those plugins? But did play after about 2h?

Comment

Working...
      X