This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FON fonts in Kubuntu?

I just installed a windows-based program in Kubuntu and, using WINE, it works fine. Every one of the windows ttf fonts it calls on show up fine.

However, the program's author also included a font he created with a FON extension, and I have not been able to get the program to access the font.

Is there a way to get the program to be able to use this FON font?

Zane

Re: FON fonts in Kubuntu?

As far as I can tell, there are two options:

1. Try copying the .fon file to /usr/share/wine/fonts (you will need sudo to do this). That's where all of wine's other .fon files are, so it might find the font if you put it there.

2. Convert it to truetype. This CAN be done, but it's a tedious job. You can load the font into fontforge, edit it (plan on doing a lot of editing), save it as a truetype, and then install it with kde's font installer. Unless you really love this font, you won't want to go to the trouble.

The problem here is that .fon fonts are raster images, whereas ttf fonts are vector images, and converting them character-by-character is a real pain.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Re: FON fonts in Kubuntu?

Thank you. I'll try moving it to the fonts subfolder in Wine

As far as converting it to TTF, I know how to do that, but didn't think that would work. While it would enable the computer to read the font, the software itself would still be calling upon the .fon file so the software wouldn't read the ttf version.

Comment

Working...
      X