X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wicd connecting to random networks / not remembering autoconnect option

Hi,
    I have been having this issue a while already. I want to fix it now, but research hasn't really brought a solution.

Here is the issue :
    on startup, Wicd (1.7.0) connects to the wrong wireless network, i.e. a network, encrypted or not, to which I don't have access. Connection is 'fake' most of the time (since it is encrypted), but I have to disconnect and reconnect each time to the right network, even though passwords are correctly stored for other networks (more than one) and the 'automatically connect to this network' option is checked. It happen most of the time (just not every time).

I remember I didn't have that issue before, but can't precisely remember whether I had it under 10.10 or not.
    Oh, and it happened also that it was impossible to connect to an unsecured network (only once so far).
    I am using the driver Ralink RT2860 STA, since I installed Linux two years ago.

I was trying to install this patch here http://wicd.net/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=38 but patch installation didn't work. Files seem to be in different locations than mentioned in the patch. Should I pursue trying to install this patch or is there a better thing to do ? -- is giving up one of them ?

Thank you in advance for hints, not the end of the world otherwise!
    Single boot Kubuntu12.04 on Zepto NoxA14 Intel Dual Core 2GHz (64-bit), RAM 4Go, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT

Re: Wicd connecting to random networks / not remembering autoconnect option

Read Re: Network Problem and check and verify that all the networkmanager pieces are removed and that all the wicd pieces are installed.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Stupid of me! sorry, should have checked this before.

All components of Wicd were installed.
      Networkmanager packages remaining were : modemmanager & network-manager-pptp
      On uninstallation (of the 1st one), were also removed : usb-modeswitch{u} & usb-modeswitch-data{u}

On first reboot wicd connects to the right network. I'll wait a few more times to see if it reproduces.
      Thank you.
      Single boot Kubuntu12.04 on Zepto NoxA14 Intel Dual Core 2GHz (64-bit), RAM 4Go, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT

Comment

Originally posted by kln
        Stupid of me! sorry, should have checked this before.
        Don't feel bad, and no need to appologize. The issue of networkmanager and wicd is/has been a common problem, and has bitten more than one Kubuntu user.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I‘m very glad this was cleared, but the problem reproduces.
          On three boots, wicd automatically established a fake connection two times to the same network (same as before)

The wireless landscape where I am most of the time is like this
          Network 1 - WAP - strong (80-90% most of the time)
          Network 2 - secured WEP - medium (40-60%)
          and a few weaker networks

I should be able to connect to the 1st network automatically, but the 2nd (or even a very weak WEP one) one is chosen most of the time. It is not the first time that Wicd establish a 'fake' connection with a WEP automatically instead of opting for WPA with password or unsecured.

Last night the network had a lot of ups and downs (not related to my laptop), I got disconnected about 10 times, and I had to manually reconnect every time. After disconnection, Wicd would not do anything, connecting to neither Network 1 or Network 2, not even trying. The box 'automatically reconnect on loss' is checked (it uses to search before, but was it before 11.04 or 10.10 ? can't remember )
          This doesn't happen all the time. At other times, it tries to reconnect automatically and succeed.

Other issues I remember having are : having to wait sometimes one hour to get an IP on a new network (Wicd would just keep trying to connect until getting an IP), complete impossibility to connect on an unsecured network, or also at times a secured network (it happened even in a 5-star hotel ... wasn't me paying ). Travelling two months with my laptop, I was never 100% sure I would be able to connect to a new network in a guesthouse or a café, but it worked most of the time (say more than 9 out of 10).

I hope that's enough details to get a picture. I keep searching.

Comment

Another detail : when Wicd is connected to Network 2 (the wrong one, fake connection), I click 'Connect' to Network 1 (the right one), the display at the bottom of the Wicd window will be :
            Disconnecting active connection ...
            Network 2 : putting interface down ...
            Network 2 : putting interface up ... (should have changed to Network 1 by then)
            Network 2 : Validating authentication ...
            Network 2 : Obtaining IP address ...
            Connect to Network 1 (!) at xx%

I don't know if this is significant / means something.

The issue seems to be WEP networks, there are many issues online about this so I guess it's just a matter of time before I find.

Comment

Working...
            X