X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop freeze

May peace be upon you,
    I am on a Dell Inspiron N5010 with Core i5 Intel HD Graphics.

My taskbar and my desktop freezes now and then. I googled it and found out this was a problem with KDE in 2006 concerning network connections. I suspect mine is network related too but i might be wrong

Everything else is working normally: desktop cube, woobly windows effect etc. Its just that my taskbar items are frozen except skype and clementine in the system tray. The widgets on my desktop are frozen. I tried CTRL + ALT + F12, CTRL + ALT + F7. The situation remains the same.

Re: Desktop freeze

Open a terminal window (i.e. Alt-F2 "konsole" with no quote marks) and in the terminal type "top". Then move the window to a place on the screen where you can watch it while you do your usual things on the computer.

At the moment when the "freeze" happens, look at the top window and see which process is using the most CPU resources. From that information, you will have an idea what kind of problem you have.

Comment

Thanks. i managed to Kill plasma-desktop and reload it. Its working again.

Yesterday, my ISP had a general breakdown throughout the country. My kubuntu would refuse to boot. It would freeze on the splash screen itself. After 5 or more resets, it switched on when the internet connection was re-established.

I'll try your suggestion and report back

EDIT: During the ISP breakdown, i was able to browser to the ISP homepage. It was only international connection which was unavailable.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        Open a terminal window (i.e. Alt-F2 "konsole" with no quote marks) and in the terminal type "top". Then move the window to a place on the screen where you can watch it while you do your usual things on the computer.

At the moment when the "freeze" happens, look at the top window and see which process is using the most CPU resources. From that information, you will have an idea what kind of problem you have.
        Hi dibl ,

I've been having a similar problem too on my Acer Aspire 4750G laptop. I have so far been unable to detect the cause. Thanks very much for the suggestion. With that I hope to - at the very least - know which app is taking up CPU usage at the time.

Once I've compiled enough info on this, I'll post my findings & work towards fixing the problem.

Best Regards,
        Jude

Comment

Working...
        X