This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 10.10 flash and other problems

I've downgraded Kubuntu from 11.04 to 10.10 because I'd some issues with very hot CPU.
    Now, with Kubuntu 10.10, I'm having lot of other issues. like freezing, no full screen in flash video, etc.
    what should I do? is that mean, my computer is not suitable for KDE environment?
    I have Intel pentium duel core 1.86GHz
    3GB DDR2 RAM

Re: Kubuntu 10.10 flash and other problems

Just a suggestion: save your important data off to USB sticks or DVDs, then do a FRESH install of 10.04 from a good LiveCD or LiveUSB. That will be easier, faster and more reliable than trying to clean up a downgrade.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

If it's just Flash, download the Flash Aid addon for Firefox, turn Firefox on and run it.
      "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

Not sure why you would have a hot cpu with kubuntu since it uses less processor cycles than windows. It seems the manufacturer of your system locked in propriety cooling software which only works in windows - so you can't really blame kubuntu.
        A quick google search will probably find a solution.

There is no flash issue in kubuntu any longer. It just works out of the box. If you are having problems I suggest your computer has a hardware fault - rather than the operating system being responsible.

Sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree - this is a console install of flash that works and many people prefer it.
        Kubuntu folk work hard making this operating system and so all donations go towards continuing their great work. However small or large.

Comment

Originally posted by telemetry
          There is no flash issue in kubuntu any longer. It just works out of the box.
          Hi...

I'm not sure this is the case for the 64 bit version of Kubuntu, at least it wasn't for 10.04. If the version of 10.10 the OP is using is 64 bit and the browser is the same, then the 64 bit version of flash player will be needed. You can download a copy of that here.

Regards...
          Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
          How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
          PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Flash wasn't working perfectly out of the box on my system (in neither 10.10 nor 11.04, with Firefox 4 & 5), probably due to 64-bit issues.

The problem was that many Flash animations would persist on the screen even after changing the browser tab, or (for some), even after closing the tab or closing Firefox. Then the image -- like a snapshot of parts of the Flash animation -- would remain on (or show through) purely white parts of the screen. They would disappear only after restarting X.

Installing the Flash-Aid plugin for Firefox solved the imperfections, thanks de_koraco for pointing it out. I chose to install the latest 64-bit beta release Flash plugin. Very easy with this Add-on.

Update : the 64-bit plugin beta release has some problems too (like with Flickr flash uploader, it aborts after a few seconds), and the last 32-bit plugin with compatibily wrapper has the persistent flash snapshot remaining throughout other windows. No perfect solution.
            Single boot Kubuntu12.04 on Zepto NoxA14 Intel Dual Core 2GHz (64-bit), RAM 4Go, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT

Comment

I couldn't stand various issues with 10.10 (even after fresh install)
              so I had to install 11.04 again.
              only one problem I am facing is, I can't watch videos for long, as it shuts my pc off.
              so I had to have another operating system side by side, just to watch videos and movies..

Comment

No message before the shut off? Nothing about why showing in ksystemlog?
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi, lets try fix this..

Originally posted by stephensetugomes
                  very hot CPU
                  Exactly how much temperature in celsius is "very hot"? 30C, 60C etc

is my computer not suitable for KDE environment?
                  Your PC worked before upgrade to 11.04 right? So it is capable to utilize Kubuntu.
                  So, it is logical to assume that this is Software issue, not Hardware!

Originally posted by telemetry
                  There is no flash issue in kubuntu any longer. It just works out of the box.
                  What you mean with "out of box"?
                  As far as I know by default you have no flash installed in freshly installed Kubuntu 11.04.
                  Only if you check "3rd party bla bla" box doing Kubuntu installation.
                  I strongly recommend to not do that! (I'm quite sure that this caused a major crash for me...)

If you are having problems I suggest your computer has a hardware fault - rather than the operating system being responsible.
                  Flash is software...

Originally posted by ardvark71
                  I'm not sure this is the case for the 64 bit version of Kubuntu

You can download a copy of that here.
                  In my opinion, easiest way is how I did install flash (and I have almost no experience with Linux) --->

#364 --->
                  Originally posted by akwala
                  If you use ppa:sevenmachines/flash to install the 64-bit plugin, it will end up in /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer, which is specific to the installer; other /usr subdirs remain untouched, as far as I can tell. Links like the following in /etc/alternatives cause the respective browsers to use this plugin:
                  #383 --->
                  I don't know if it is known, but there is a PPA available for installing the flashplugin64-installer deb package.

It's very useful and it serves the Flash player 10.2.

With the following commands you add the PPA and install the plugin (64bit) for every browser.
                  Code:
                  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sevenmachines/flash && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install flashplugin64-installer
                  Worked for me without any issue! (I use Chromium) And for many others.

I can't watch videos for long, as it shuts my pc off.
                  Yes! I have also this issue watching with Kubuntu Video player, after certain time ~ 10min or more (havent watched in clock, could be 5min or 15min)
                  Screen just goes black, you have to move mouse to get it back to video / movie you were watching.

How can we fix this?

Comment

Originally posted by gigenieks
                    Yes! I have also this issue watching with Kubuntu Video player, after certain time ~ 10min or more (havent watched in clock, could be 5min or 15min)
                    Screen just goes black, you have to move mouse to get it back to video / movie you were watching.
                    If your screen goes black when you watch a video and the video 'reappear' when you touch the mouse or a key, it's likely to be Power Management settings switching off the screen after a period of time to save energy.
                    Click on the Battery applet > Power save settings > Power profile, you can set a time for Screen Energy Saving.
                    A video player (like VLC) will have an option to disable this function when a movie is being watched, but for YouTube it will still happen (unless you find a Firefox option/add-on)
                    Single boot Kubuntu12.04 on Zepto NoxA14 Intel Dual Core 2GHz (64-bit), RAM 4Go, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT

Comment

Click on the Battery applet > Power save settings > Power profile, you can set a time for Screen Energy Saving.
                      Not sure what you meant with "Battery applet"

I use PC (not laptop).
                      Anyway, thank you kln
                      I solved it --->
                      System Settings > Power Management > Power Profiles tab > unchecked Screen Energy Saver & Dim display (not sure what this is..)
                      And Video player did not go black anymore.

Comment

getting back on topic here ....

Any info about that shutdown in the systemlogs, stephensetugomes?
                        Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
                        Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
                        Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Not sure what you meant with "Battery applet"
                          I mean the battery icon in the taskbar. If you use a desktop computer, you will not have it.

System Settings > Power Management > Power Profiles tab > unchecked Screen Energy Saver & Dim display (not sure what this is..)
                          And Video player did not go black anymore.
                          These settings are to automatically, first, dim the screen, then, turn it off, if there is no user action for a certain period of time. This is to save energy, and can amount to substantial savings on your bill (and for the environment). I recommend to still use them and to set a time according to how you use it. For instance 3min to dim and 10min to screen off. If you often read without touching mouse or keys, you may want to set a longer time before dimming.

To disable when you watch videos : in video player softwares, this is a default setting (in VLC, Tools>Preferences, Show all settings, then Video>Disable Screen saver). To have it disable when you watch videos online, do some research.

Comment

Working...
                          X