This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maverick boots in BusyBox?

I know there are a lot of these threads but I think my issue is slightly different:

So I'm dual-booting Lucid Lynx and Maverick Meerkat (long story for a different thread). Typically, I only use Lucid Lynx. However, I booted Maverick a couple of days ago. This was the first time I'd run Maverick since November 2010. Of course by this point, Maverick needed a number of updates. I blindly selected all of them (about 200 or so) and restarted the computer as suggested. While the computer is restarting, I get distracted and start doing something else. When I come back, I see this:

Killed
    mount:mounting /dev on /root/dev failed: No such file or directory
    mount:mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory
    mount:mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: No such file or directory
    Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init.
    No init found. Try passing init=bootarg.

BusyBox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu11) built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands.
    The computer had booted to Lucid, the default OS/partition. Maverick still works, however Lucid won't boot beyond what's above. I have quite a few important files on the 10.04 partition and- at the very least- I'd like to transfer those files over to the to Lucid, but I can't see the other partition from Lucid.

I'd appreciate any help possible.

Other information about this laptop:
    Lenovo 3000 V200
    KDE 4.5.5
    Intel® Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM

Thanks!

Re: Maverick boots in BusyBox?

BUMP

still needing help with this. Now, I'm also afraid to upgrade to Natty...

Comment

Re: Maverick boots in BusyBox?

Definitely hold off on the natty upgrade until this is fixed.

If I understand this right, you CAN boot into Maverick, but NOT lucid?

What this kind of message usually means is that grub can't find the file system, and most often that is caused by a mess-up of UUID's. Another thing that can make this happen is that when you did the upgrade, it reinstalled grub2, and switched the boot MBR to point at maverick instead of lucid. As I recall, lucid may still be on the old grub, while maverick is on grub2, if this is the case, that could be why it messed up.

One way to fix this is to download and burn a Super Grub Disk

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

There is now also a "Rescatux" disk, which might be better. Either of these will enable you to boot your system. Then you can reinstall grub from lucid.

You couold also try booting lucid directly from the grub menu.

You need to know what partition your lucid system is on. Let's assume it is on /dev/sda1. Substitute what ever it is actually on in the example that follows.

Power down your system, then power on. When the grub menu appears, stop it from booting by hitting any key. Now choose the first line that offers to boot lucid. Hit e . this will bring up the boot commands for that item. Erase everything, and put in the following lines:

insmod ext2
      set root='(hd0,1)'
      linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro
      initrd /initrd.img

Then hit CTRL-X

see if this boots your system. If it does, then you need to reinstall grub on your lucid system, with:

sudo grub-setup '(hd0)'
      sudo update grub

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
      X