This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a few problems I need help on

Hi, I just got kubuntu Breezy Badger installed and it's great, except for a few problems. I hope someone can help me on these before I can really make the jump from Windows to Linux. I have almost no Linux experience so here goes...

1. I use konqueror as root to move files around. It used to be that I opened up konsole and typed:
    kdesu konquerer
    and that would work. Now, when I type that, an error messages pops up saying "DCOP communication error - Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!". I don't know how to fix this.

2. (This maybe related to problem #1). I go to the Font Installer in System Settings and click on "Administrator Mode" button to install fonts for all users. It used to be that I clicked the button, entered the password, and it worked. Now, I click the button, enter the password, and nothing happens.

3. I noticed that when copying files (for example, font files to the fonts:/// directory), the copying process sometimes lags, even when I copy from within the same hard drive. During this lag time, KDE slows to a crawl and I can barely launch any applications. Sometimes in the time estimated it says "stalled", then continues. It takes around a few minutes to copy a 5MB file sometimes. Does anyone know what is causing this?

4. I tried to not ask this question as tons of documentation are floating around but I really give up... What is the easiest way to enable Japanese input in KDE? Some recommend setting up canna server and kinput while others recommend SCIM/anthy etc. I tried all of them but it just fails. Can someone tell me or point me in the right direction?

If someone can help me solve these problems, I'd be extremely grateful. Coming from Windows it's been a slightly painful experience but I'm willing to switch...

Re: a few problems I need help on

For the first problem try that in konsole :

Code:
    xhost +
    kdesu konqueror

Comment

Originally posted by snip
      For the first problem try that in konsole :

Code:
      xhost +
      kdesu konqueror
      not working for me , I'm getting a blank window of konqueror. surprisingly sudo konqueror is working (with lots of errors in konsole)
      cheers!
      -=|From the desk of|=-
      «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
      «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
      «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
      Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

Originally posted by whoiam55
        not working for me , I'm getting a blank window of konqueror. surprisingly sudo konqueror is working (with lots of errors in konsole)
        Strange...
        You must be don't root to execute this command.
        This will allow all users opening X graphics windows.

Sorry, for this post.

Comment

Can't enter Administrator Mode in Contol Center. Open terminal and type the following.
          ~$kdesu kcontrol

This link has some help on the administrator mode thing. I was having the same problem; I wanted to change the time and couldn't because when it asked for the root password nothing would happen after I gave it.  http://kudos.berlios.de/kf/kisimlar/...html#utcsticks

Comment

Working...
          X