Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 10.04 or 10.10 (64 bits) supports intel processors ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 10.04 or 10.10 (64 bits) supports intel processors ?

Hello.

Not really sure if it's the right place to ask that, sorry if it is not.

From there : http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/do...download-block i can donwload the 64 bit version 10.04 or 10.10.

But i'm wondering if my processor is supported or not, since in the releases there is the keyword "amd".
    Does it mean the 64 bit versions don't support Intel processors ?

I've a dual-core t4400 (from my laptop samsung NP-R730)

Thx for reading.

Re: Kubuntu 10.04 or 10.10 (64 bits) supports intel processors ?

The amd 64 bit version works just fine with Intel processors. The name is left over when a time when the only 64 bit processors were AMD. And the first kernels and programs written for 64 bit were named that. Linux offered 64 bit processing a long time before Microsoft. But yes, your 64 bit processor should work fine with the "AMD64" version.

Comment

Can you open a terminal and run

Code:
      cat /proc/cpuinfo
      There will be a line near the end of the output, named "flags". If you see "lm" then it is 64-bit. "lahf_lm" does NOT necessarily designate a 64-bit CPU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

http://blog.hbcom.info/archives/152

Comment

Thx for the answers.

I don't know how to open a terminal in windows7, maybe i can't, and it's not a valid dos command, i suppose it can be done only on linux ? (i will make a dual boot in the first time, since linux world is totally new for me).

If i have troubles with installation i will search and ask help if necessary.

Comment

Welcome!

There are countless people who give up on Linux in the very early stages because something goes wrong during the installation. Additionally some set off with the expectation that Linux is akin to freeware windows and are disappointed when they find it is not. A very useful insight into linux can be found here:

http://www.tuxradar.com/linuxstarterpack

When you are ready to try it, get the live cd version. That will enable you to take it for a test run without installing it. It will hopefully flag any hardware issues that exist . Once you are ready to install make sure you backup your data and defragment windows before you install. Whilst it is thankfully rare, there is a potential for data loss.

There are a number of different ways you can install Kubuntu:

1. From windows within a virtual machine such as virtualbox or VMWare. Safe but you are running 2 operating systems so it may be a bit slow.
          2. The live cd contains a file called wubi.exe. This is interesting because whilst running windows you install it as a windows application and it creates a virtual partition on the c:\ drive which your computer sees at boot so you can elect to boot into either kubuntu or windows. I've not done this myself, but by all accounts I've seen it works quite well. I believe that if you decide you don't like it, you can simply uninstall it.
          3. By clicking "install" from the desktop when running the live cd. This creates a full blown kubuntu installation on the system and repartitions the hard drive. Your biggest risk area is at the partitioning stage where selecting the wrong option can overwrite windows so you need to be careful. To create an optimal installation it is generally recommended to create a separate partition for you user data (the "home" directory).

If I were in your position, being one of simply wanting to try it out, I'd be looking at either 1 or 2, probably 2. If in time you are happy that you want to formally carve up your hard drive (or perhaps become a linux-only user) then there's nothing to stop you but my priority at this stage would be to get up and running with minimum pain.

HTH

Ian

Comment

Yes, Liquidator has given good advice.

Or, "quick and dirty" -- just download the 64-bit Live CD ISO image, burn it slow (check #1 in the FAQs in my sig). Either it boots, or it does not. And there you will have your answer.

Comment

I appreciate your help and advices.

I've successfuly made a dual boot, windows7 / kubuntu (third installation solution), but broke it few minutes later
              I've tried to boot the thing called "windows vista", which was in fact the samsung recovery tool, i left it without any change and after the bios run, it restarted again , again, ... i couldn't boot without a live cd.

Finally i've decided to make a full installation of kubuntu without windows7, but i've troubles with it (the general use) and since ubuntu is more popular, even in my native language (French), and seems a bit easier to use, i've decide to use it first.

I will try kubuntu later, when linux will be my friend

Comment

There are some on this forum that use Ubuntu (me) so if you have any questions just ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Kestudy

Finally i've decided to make a full installation of kubuntu without windows7
                  Install Kubuntu and then install VMware Player 3 (download from VMware). Then install Win 7 (use a CD or ISO) as a VM. Works great here.

Comment

Originally posted by Kestudy
                    I will try kubuntu later, when linux will be my friend
                    One does what works for them!

Later, if you decide to try Kubuntu, you can add it to your Gnome installation by simply running Synaptic and installing "kubuntu-desktop". That will bring in all of KDE 4.4.2 and its programs. Then, go to Medibuntu to activate multimedia capabilities.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Actually since Dapper, I never had an issue with getting a release version of a live iso to run. I say iso because it is so easy these days to get the iso onto a 1 GB removable usb device. Unetbootin is made for windows as well as linux and will put the iso on a usb.

CD's are crappy. If you do need a bootable cd, take the advice in this thread and burn it at a slow speed. I suggest no faster than 8x and use a brand name CD. I have had cheap cd's lose parts of foil off the plastic in the matter of months just sitting in a box.

I have installed ubuntu on practically every computer I have owned since 2006. Unless you have something really new, it is more likely to work than windows. The only things that might not work are wireless and some other funky hardware, but even then, I have always been able to get wireless to work with at least ndiswrapper.

If you persevere for a bit and learn the ropes, there is so much more you can do with a linux based system.

Comment

Working...
                      X