Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wlassistant error, No usable wireless devices found. Please Help!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wlassistant error, No usable wireless devices found. Please Help!!!

I have installed Kubuntu Dapper 6.06 on my Satellite A75-S206 Laptop. the wireless lan worked at first, but I get this following error now when attempting to configure "wlassistant" "ERROR, No usable wireless devices found, wireless assistant will  now quit."

Can someone help me with this issue??  Please!

Re: wlassistant error, No usable wireless devices found.

There is a lot of information about wireless networking on the Ubuntu Community Help Pages. Start here, and look at the HowTo and the troubleshooting page. As well as anything you can find about your specific card and chipset.

Comment

I have looked and do not see a match. Anyone that is interested in helping me. PLEASE!!!!!! My computers network card is built in, it worked when i first installed, but the next day when turning on the computer, the "built in wireless" is not recognized. The built in card is a "Total 802.11 Super G Atheros."

Comment

I need to add one more thing, the card is recognized when i boot up to the live CD. It works fine that way.  help please!!

Here is another update!! The computer only stops recognizing the wireless card only after the updates are applied (after the new installation). It seams that maybe one of these updates may be an issue, but this is way over my head, please can someone help me

Comment

Re: wlassistant error, No usable wireless devices found. Please Help!!!

I went through the troubleshooting procedure, but it is for a pcmcia card. My card is built in. Is there no one out there that can help me?? Please someone help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          My Toshiba a75 is being rendered useless because of some update. maybe it is true that you cannot get many viruses, but it sure looks like an update can act like one!!!!! Especially if no one can or will help with the problem. Days are going by and nothing is solved with this issue. I am becoming very discouraged with Kubuntu. I thought this was the place where we could get help. Isn't this the HELP the new guy forum??

Comment

The fact that your card is an Atheros indicates that you may be able to use MADWIFI which is in the "linux-restricted-modules-{your-kernel} package, where {your kernel} is the result of the konsole command "uname -r". So, start a konsole, (K>System>Konsole). Type "uname -r". Copy down the result (something like "2.6.15-25-amd64-k8" or "2.6.15-25-686". Then start Synaptic or Adept. Search for the package name linux-restricted-modules. You'll find several possibilities, one of which will include the name of your kernel. Install that package. then try your wifi again.

There is some useful information on this community help page but unfortunately, much of it is out of date. This page is more up to date, but it very gnome-oriented.

By the way, you're likely to get more help with more information and less exclamation points.

Comment

the fact of the matter is that NOTHING and NO ONE was responding until i added the exclamation points. ADDING INSULT to INJURY is not helping me at all. I will attempt to do what you told me to do. I gave ALL the information that I had, ALL OF IT.

sometimes people do not ask themselves the second question before they ask the first one. for example: Before saying remarks such as the one i have commented on, it would be a good idea to look back and see if the person in question gave all the information that he could, and why is the person upset? could it be that no body is responding to him? Yes, maybe that is why he left all of those Exclamation points! maybe you forgot what it was like to be a NEWBIE.

Okay, back to the problem at hand. I have located the "2.6.15-23-386" file and it is already installed. This issue is still an open one. The problem has not changed. My laptop is still rendered useless. I am not sure what to do next.

Comment

If all else fails why not try Atheros support eg info@atheros.com
                "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I'm having the same problem(also on a Toshiba Satellite). My wireless was up and working out of the box after I installed 6.06. Last night Adept installed updates, and this morning on reboot, I get the same error message. lspci shows my card, but when I run iwconfig i get

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.
                  If it was working yesterday, am I wrong in thinking the driver should still be there ? I've searched through the how to's , and I haven't found any other thread relating to this problem.

Comment

Do you also have an Atheros wireless adapter? If so check Atheros support. The OP never came back so someone must have helped!!!! him.

Comment

it is not that I did not come back, I simply went to a different os until a new release of kubuntu came out.

Jack

Comment

hay

if you can get the windows drivers for the wireless device you can probley get it going with ndiswrapper!

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                        X