X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch internet settings from Windows XP to Kubuntu

Hi,

I've been using Windows XP for a while now, and have been trying to use Kubuntu. I'm very new at this and need some help with setting up the internet connection. I can connect to the internet from XP, but I can't connect from Kubuntu because I haven't been able to configure the settings.

Can anyone tell me how to find the settings in XP and use those settings in Kubuntu?

I'm using a laptop, and connect through a wireless router. I didn't set up anything myself, and so have no idea what the settings are and what I should look for. If someone could give me a list of instructions, or a link to someplace with a list of instructions on how to do this, I would be eternally grateful.

Regards,

V.

Re: Switch internet settings from Windows XP to Kubuntu

What you are looking for in XP is the TCP/IP settings. To find this information Control Panel>Network Connections. Right click on the current connection and select Properties. In the window that opens up select TCP/IP and then Properties. This will take you to where you want to be to copy your TCP/IP settings. If you have never changed anything here, it will probably be set to DHCP (Obtain Address Automatically) and everything else will be greyed out. Not going to be much help to you in getting Kubuntu going. So let's forget about XP and see if we can get you going without it.

First, is your wireless device being detected?
    Open a terminal and enter the following command:
    Code:
    iwconfig
    and post the results.

Comment

and while we are on basics, have you tried to use the network manager icon (on the panel at the bottom of the screen)?

right click on it and connect to new network (that should show all the networks the laptop sees) select one, and then provide the key needed to log in (if any). or course that is assuming the card is both turned on and properly detected by the os.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

If everything "just worked" in XP, it should "just work" in Kubuntu, at least as far as network settings go (in technical terms: they both use DHCP as default, and get the settings from the router or a server on the network).

So, as others said, first try to check if your wireless hardware is working properly.

Comment

Working...
        X