X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] package processing problems

Hi,
    I was dowloading and installing today the last updates through Konsole. I came to the installing or configuring of ttf-mscorefonts-installer and it soon prompted the License Agreement, but there was no way (or probably I didn't know the way) to validate the 'ok', so after trying some time, I just close Konsole and re-open. But after that, I didn't manage to re-install properly the problematic package.
    When trying to update, I got this :
    Code:
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     man-db
    I tried to remove/reinstall/reconfigure/fix, but all I got now is
    Code:
    ~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
    [sudo] password for: 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree    
    Reading state information... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    2 not fully installed or removed.
    After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
    Setting up man-db (2.5.7-4) ...
    debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
    dpkg: error processing man-db (--configure):
     subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of debhelper:
     debhelper depends on man-db (>= 2.5.1-1); however:
     Package man-db is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing debhelper (--configure):
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
     man-db
     debhelper
    I didn't find any similar problem on the internet, but on package processing error, I got this http://journalxtra.com/2010/03/fixin...essing-errors/ and tried the first steps (remove/reinstall/reconfigure/fix). As it's labelled 'dreadful errors', I'd rather ask before trying sth I can't handle ...

Subsequent questions : do I really need this man-db (probably) and especially this ttf-mscorefonts-installer (why do I need MS fonts ?). Oh, and how to validate a 'ok' line in a text appearing dos-like in the Konsole ?

Thanking you in advance

Kubuntu 10.10 & KDE 4.5.1, GRUB 0.97-29ubuntu60, simple boot, wine installed but only for Wenlin (dictionnary program for Chinese language)
    Single boot Kubuntu12.04 on Zepto NoxA14 Intel Dual Core 2GHz (64-bit), RAM 4Go, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT

Re: package processing problems

Open a console and type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    When EULAs are presented, click on the EULA window title bar and the press the Tab key until the Ok is 'active' and press Enter.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I tried, I get this
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install -f
      [sudo] password for : 
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree    
      Reading state information... Done
      0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
      2 not fully installed or removed.
      After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
      Setting up man-db (2.5.7-4) ...
      dpkg: error processing man-db (--configure):
       subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
      dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of debhelper:
       debhelper depends on man-db (>= 2.5.1-1); however:
       Package man-db is not configured yet.
      dpkg: error processing debhelper (--configure):
       dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
      No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
       man-db
       debhelper
      E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
      Thank you already for the EULA stuff !
      Single boot Kubuntu12.04 on Zepto NoxA14 Intel Dual Core 2GHz (64-bit), RAM 4Go, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT

Comment

Originally posted by kln
        I tried, I get this
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install -f
        Close the graphical package manager you have open. Running apt-get install from the console won't work if a package manger is running.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

There's no graphical package manager open (I use aptitude most of the time)
          In the system manager, I checked that neither aptitude, apt-get nor dpkg processes are running -- if that may help. (I killed aptitude and tried before, when it was still running at the beginning)

Should I reboot & retry ? I haven't done it yet, because 'small' problems could result into not being able to start Kubuntu or KDE if not solved first.

Comment

After reboot this morning, I tried $aptitude update then $aptitude full-upgrade. The problem was still listed along with other packages to upgrade, but then everything was corrected during the upgrade process.
            Why today and not yesterday ? maybe rebooting did the trick ...
            solved anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X