This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu not seeing raid array and dvdrw q

so i have two 250gs's in merged raid (its been awhile, i forget the number type, its where they are seen as 1 500gb drive) with my ntfs vista ultimate 64 install, and a 500gb storage drive thats 3/4 ntfs for windows crap, which the other 1/4 i partitioned to install kubuntu. i use boot priority in bios to switch between the os's simply because back many many versions before i started really liking linus the dual boot software was causing errors for windows.

anywho, kubuntu is set to autofind and mount as far as the options i can tell, but it doesnt see the windows raid drives where most of the software i want to import to wine are... any advice?

and using dolphin (file explorer prog it came with) under media it lists cdrom, cdrom0, cdrom1 and local disk 2. local disk 2 is the windows partition on the 500gb drive that linus is on, and i dont know why it lists 3 cdrom drives. i have only 2, a dvd only reader, and a dvd/cd-rrw. whats the third, or does linus split the dvd/cdrrw into two differnt drives depending on the media inserted?

if i put a music cd in the dvdr only it doesnt list the tracks under and of the three cdrom listings, but it detects it under available devices plasmoid i have on the desktop. same goes if it put the same cd in the dvd/cdrrw drive, no files are listed in dolphin, but available devices detects the inserted media fine.

Re: kubuntu not seeing raid array and dvdrw q

update... i downloaded disk utility and it correctly sees/names all my devices... but curious:

under sata host adapter, it lists my 3 harddrives, the first 250gb in the raid comes up 250gb capacity but 500gb raid volume... names the device as /dev/sda. under the second 250 it says 250gb w 250 volume raid component names /dev/sdb... and the third 1gb which is my 3/4 ntfs windows vista and 1/4 kubunutu ext3 as /dev/sdc.

now it says mount point for the 1gb, but none for the two raid drives.

so im guessing it just needs to be mounted? anyone help me out how this is done? shoudl i only mount the /dev/sdb because it sees it as a 500gb volume? (the correct size of the ntfs raid)? or do each need to be done seperate? etc.

thank you!

##edit

#ps i tried:

mkdir /media/windows
    sudo mount /dev/sda /media/windows/ -t ntfs -o ro,unmask=0222

#i dont know what the -o ro,unmask=0222 tag was im following an online guide to mouting ntfs windows hd's via terminal, and dev/sda #being the name of the 500gb raid volume disk utility sees on the first 250gb drive.

#and got:

NTFS signature is missing.
    Failed to mount '/dev/sda': Invalid argument
    The device '/dev/sda' doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS.
    Maybe the wrong device is used? Or the whole disk instead of a
    partition (e.g. /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1)? Or the other way around?

Comment

Linux is unlikely ever to see the Windows RAID0 array as a single filesystem, unfortunately. The common motherboard SATA RAID controllers use a combination of hardware, plus Windows driver, to accomplish the RAID, and Linux is not able to duplicate what the Windows driver does.

If there is data on that array that you want to share with Linux, you will have to (in Windows) copy it to some partition/filesystem where Linux can see it.

Comment

hmph

thanks for the info... ug think ill just buy an external to use as swap. save the hassle of continual reboot as i remember more stuff haha

Comment

Here you go:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136461

$55 and you've got a portable data drive for either Windows or Linux.

Comment

Working...
          X