This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] can't load software or do anything else

when I try to install software or make a change I get the message " Authentication is required to change software source parameters" but when I type in my login password it doesn't take it. What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?

Thanks!!

Re: can't load software or do anything else

To many unspecified variables to be able to answer your question directly.

How are you trying to install software - what method are you using?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My apologies, I guess that shows how much of a newbie I really am.

I go to system settings
      Then software management
      Then Get and Remove Software
      I'll select a program to install like Chromium Web Browser by clicking on the install icon
      then I click on Apply

After I hit the continue button to install all related packages I get the following message..

Authentication is required to install a signed package

I only know of one password that I have set up when I did the initial install and that is my logon password (which lets me into Kubuntu) However after I enter this password it comes back with the following message..

Authentication failure, please try again.

I've tried this several times and with several different packages but I have had zero success.

And this is where I'm stuck at.

Comment

quick question is the only username on the machine? if its not that 1st created user is not on the sudoers list.,

if your are the only user (or at least using user #1000 , first user created)then try in a konsole to install synaptic package manager using this command
        [code=run in konsole] sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends install synaptic[/code]
        it will force you to be root when used so before you can use it you will need to provide it with you sudo password.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

is there a default sudo password? I tried the command and it asked for my password but it tells me that I'm not in the sudoers file..as you specified in the earlier message. How do I get past that?

Comment

There is NOT a default sudo password.

sithlord48 asked a key question that you have not answered:
            ...[are you] the only username on the machine?
            Normally the person who was FIRST and set up Kubuntu will have sudo rights. If you were second, third, forth and so on, you possibly have never had sudo rights.

Were you FIRST and did you ever have sudo rights?

The person with the sudo right can give sudo rights to other people.
            "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
            "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Yes, I am the only person/username on the computer. I've never had sudo rights as far as I know of but I couldn't honestly tell since I'm a newbie.

Comment

Look at this: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/fixsudo
                "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Make sure that you are typing the password with the proper case - passwords are case sensative. If you are the user who installed Kubuntu, then you are in the sudoers list.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I am the one who installed Kubuntu however I still had this problem. However I have now solved the problem. I took arochester advise and follow the instructions on http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/fixsudo Specifically I took the following steps (assuming my issue was the case 1 example they provided).

1. I booted into recovery mode
                    2. Selected root from the recovery menu
                    3. typed the following command: adduser username admin but changed username to my actual user name.
                    4. typed exit
                    5. Selected resume from the recovery menu and Kubuntu restarted.

I was able to install software from that point on.

Comment

Good!

You could mark this post - Solved.

Comment

Working...
                      X