This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

super user

I thought that when you have a fresh install and havnt created any other user accounts, that the account you create during install is the super user one and when u log in u log in as super user.

First question is, how can i not be logged in as super user if the super user is the only account?

Second question is, since the su command doesnt seem to work i guess i ahve to use sudo - but how do i use it? i assume i have to specify the location of the program i want to start as a super user? How do i know where stuff is installed if i used the software manager to install it?

Re: super user

Originally posted by adrianm
    I thought that when you have a fresh install and havnt created any other user accounts, that the account you create during install is the super user one and when u log in u log in as super user.

First question is, how can i not be logged in as super user if the super user is the only account?
    The first account is not a "super user" account (root is locked in *buntus), it's an admin account (a normal user account that is a member of the 'admin' group, which means the account can get super user privileges via sudo)

Second question is, since the su command doesnt seem to work i guess i ahve to use sudo - but how do i use it? i assume i have to specify the location of the program i want to start as a super user? How do i know where stuff is installed if i used the software manager to install it?
    1. 'sudo -i' can be used instead of 'su' for a root terminal (if you know what you're doing)
    2. You (usually) don't have to specify a path to the program, package managers install executables in a directory that is in your $PATH, which means the system knows where to find them, examples:
    Code:
    sudo nano
    will start the nano CLI text editor 'as root'
    Code:
    sudo cp foo bar
    will copy 'foo' as 'bar' as root
    Code:
    kdesudo dolphin
    will start dolphin file manager 'as root'
    (use 'sudo' for command line (CLI) apps, and 'kdesudo' for graphical (GUI) apps.)

Comment

1) Its "as though" it gives you temporary access into Root. So there are "kind of" two accounts - You and Root

2) See http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo

General rule:

When it opens a graphical app use: kdesudo

When it opens a Terminal use: sudo
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

sudo vs kdesuo - If you want to play with fire, read the manual first.

RootSudo This is a 'must know' topic.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X