X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyboard Problems in KDE but not Gnome

"After I log in my keyboard won't work."

I too am having the same problem. I logged out using the mouse rather than shutdown or restart and switched to Gnome. The keyboard works in Gnome and in Windows. I am using Kubuntu 10.04LTS.

Re: Keyboard Problems in KDE but not Gnome

Maybe you have not a module (driver) for the keyboard loaded.

I don't know the solution, but it reminded me my last week problem when my network card stopped working only in Lucid after a daily update. Fortunately it healed itself during one day.
    Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Originally posted by n3pla2000
      "After I log in my keyboard won't work."

I too am having the same problem. I logged out using the mouse rather than shutdown or restart and switched to Gnome. The keyboard works in Gnome and in Windows. I am using Kubuntu 10.04LTS.
      Couple of questions:

So you can actually log in using the keyboard or do you have the autologin feature activated and don't use the keyboard at all?

Also, is it a USB or PS/2 keyboard?
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I am using a laptop, using the built in keyboard. I MUST manually type in my password to enter either KDE or Gnome. The keyboard worked in KDE until Monday night.

Also about a week ago I started get a kdesudo pop-up up and asking for a password to use a device, but does state what device, and everything worked whether or not I put in a password or just cancelled the pop-up.

In the past, in other computers there are things that "fail" during boot-up but everything is working fine, usually because it is checking for things that do not exist in my computer. I have noted the Kubuntu does this a lot. Usually though I get a nice graphic through most of the boot-up. However when I change what hardware is attached Kubuntu doesn't like this very much. In my car I have a laptop mount and use the computer to help keep records, and when things are slow and I am sitting in my car doing nothing I go on line via T-Mobile webConnect Jet. At home I use Comcast via wifi or ethernet, depending on where in the house I am. I prefer of course ethernet, the wifi is WPA or WPA2 can't remember after not using it for a while it too gave me trouble. The computer just seems unable to continue to function as usual with or without updates over a given period of time. Right now I am concerned about the keyboard but would love to create a custom install specifically for my laptop. Preferably 64bit, however last time I used 64bit I lost the use of a lot of programs I need or like to use. So I am using Kubuntu 32bit.

Comment

P.S. I was typing fine all day, and without a reboot or change it suddenly stopped reading the keys typed. I have tried using the on screen keyboard for the impaired, it too, fails to send characters to editors, browsers, password prompts, or anything else.

I am sending this from the computer in question via Gnome. Windows also has no problems as far as I know.

Comment

Thanks for reading this toad.

Comment

Any ideas? Anyone?

Comment

Well, it may likely be some user configuration file has 'gone astray'. The following will affect any 'customizations' you have made, but is safe.

Reboot. When you are at the KDM login screen, press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and login to a console. Then type:
                Code:
                mv ~/.kde ~/.kdeBACKUP
                This renames your users .kde directory to .kdeBACKUP. Now type:
                Code:
                sudo shutdown -r now
                After you type your password, this will shutdown and reboot your PC.

Login as normal at the KDM login screen. IF something in your renamed .kde directory was causing your problem, it will now be resolved. Any desktop customizations you had made will be gone, and you will have to redo them. If this procedure does not resolve your problem, just shutdown/reboot and again, at the KDM login, go to the console as above, and type:
                Code:
                rm -r ~/.kde
                mv ~/.kdeBACKUP ~/.kde
                This removes the 'newly created' .kde directory and replaces it with the original. Then shutdown/reoot:
                Code:
                sudo shutdown -r now
                You will be back to what you had, and no harm done.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Success! Thank you... but whata messed up desktop ... back to the old drawing board again

Comment

Happy to assist.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                    X