Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote Desktop Access over the web (Kubuntu to Kubuntu)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Desktop Access over the web (Kubuntu to Kubuntu)

I am setting up a PC for my sister in law who lives on the east coast and I live in the mid-west. I want to be able to do tech-support for her if she runs in to any problems. I would also like her to be able to see what I am doing on her PC so if she needs me to show her how to do something, I can do so. Both machines will be running Kubuntu 10.10. What is the easiest cheapest reliable way to accomplish this. Note: my sister in law is not technical at all and Kubuntu will be new to her. We are doing this because despite using anti-virus/antispyware software, her kids and her manage to get their machine infected. I think I am looking for a Bomgar type solution, but was wondering if there is anything like Bomgar that is free, reliable, and user friendly (preferably Gui interface).

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Tony

Re: Remote Desktop Access over the web (Kubuntu to Kubuntu)

Can't you use Desktop Sharing in the systems applications? I have never tried it myself though..

Comment

Originally posted by cptrohn
      Can't you use Desktop Sharing in the systems applications? I have never tried it myself though..
      cptrohn,
      Using KRFB and KRDC was my first choice and looked very attractive because the host could issue a personal or e-mailed invitation, generate temporary passwords, and the invitations would expire. I tried to get KRFB and KRDC to work on my own network and was unsuccessful. Apparently, there is a bug in KRFB that has been there since KDE went to version 4.x.x or so and has not been fixed yet. It is frustrating that I can use my Kubuntu machine to control my WinXP machine at work over vpn, but I can't control another Kubuntu machine. I really love Kubuntu and intend to dump Windows all together. My goal is to be able to help as many people as possible do the same.

Regards,
      Tony

Comment

I have been using a package called NX for some time now for access to my headless server, a Debian server at work, and my father's PC in New Zealand.
        I have not tried to share a session, but their website says that you can. It implements x over ssh and is faster and more like being there than vnc.
        I also found that VNC required a session to be logged in to enable the server, which was a bit of a complication for my servers.
        Their website is at http://www.nomachine.com/products.php
        It is quite easy to set up, install the server package first, then the node, then the client.
        There are Windows clients also.
        It is easy to initiate a connection as a shell, KDE, or Gnome session, and you can still just plain old ssh from konsole if you want to.
        A second account is a good idea, it can weird out a bit if two sessions of the same user are logged in at the same time.
        This should be quite viable if your sister in law has a static external ip, but there would be other ways to get that if she doesn't.
        You don't need a license to drive a sandwich.

Comment

Also worth mentioning, my fathers connection is only slightly better than smoke signals (256/128), but the remote session is quite workable.
          You don't need a license to drive a sandwich.

Comment

Originally posted by Pillage Idiot
            Their website is at http://www.nomachine.com/products.php
            It is quite easy to set up, install the server package first, then the node, then the client.
            'node'? The only occurance of the word node on their site is in the description for the NX Advanced Server. Please elaborate.

Added: Never mind. Found it. Once you are on the product download page (NX Free Edition for Linux) and click on the download link, the next page has buttons for downloading the client, node, and server.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X