This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I put kdesudo Dolphin on the menu

Kubuntu 10.04. Dual booted on an Intel dual core platform.

A vague memory says that Dolphin File Manager used to have a 'spawn as administrator' menu choice that brought up a different colored Dolphin with admin privileges. Very useful. No sign of it now. Get the same effect (without color change) by using terminal and kdesudo dolphin. Would rather have a menu icon. How can I change the Dolphin icon on my menu to be a kdesudo Dolphin?

I'm mainly a Windows guy. Kubuntu GUI works fine, until it doesn't. To do the above in Windows, I would right click an icon and edit the startup functions. Why can't Kubuntu offer something similar.

Heck, I can't even rename desktop icons in Kubuntu.

-----Paul-----

Re: How can I put kdesudo Dolphin on the menu

you can ....right click the kickoff icon and click "menu editor" ..... then find and highlight the program of your chose and edit the startup functions as you see fit.....change the icon and more.

O and instead of running kdesudo dolphin in a terminal just hit alt>F2 and type it in the run dialog box

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

...Dolphin File Manager used to have a 'spawn as administrator' menu choice that brought up a different colored Dolphin with admin privileges...

> HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help

K > Applications > Help
      Help > Application Manuals > Settings > Menu Editor
      KMenuEdit allows editing one of the KDE application launchers: Kickoff, the classic K menu or Lancelot Launcher.

Service Menus / Context menus

> KDE Service Menus:
      The ability to select mimetype-specific actions from a KDE file manager's context menu is an often requested feature. The pleasant surprise is that this is already possible. The even more pleasant surprise is that you don't need to be a software developer to create new actions. This article details step-by-step how to quickly and easily add new actions to KDE file manager context menus.
      Earlier/examples > Topic: Service Menus with Dolphin

Earlier/more > Topic: Edit as Root Now Moot?:

Servicemenus :
      > Root Actions Servicemenu
      > Simple Root Actions Menu
      > Open Dolphin as Root

With the Root Actions:
      [img width=400 height=305]http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/4351/rootactions.png[/img]

A bug/wish reports:
      > Bug #224436: Dolphin lacks open-as-root service menu

Root "...a different colored Dolphin..."

Earlier > FAQ: Root Password:
      What is Root /1/

root is the user name or account that by default has access to all commands and files on a Linux or other Unix-like operating system. It is also referred to as the root account, root user and the superuser.

The Root is a another user and has own home and settings. One way to change the root's Dolphin and other root owned application outlook is to start the System Settings with the root rights
      Code:
      kdesudo systemsettings
      ...and set the colors:

A user's Dolphin
      [img width=400 height=262]http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/4453/userhome.png[/img]

The Root's Dolphin
      [img width=400 height=262]http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2089/roothome.png[/img]
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Rog131, I hope you had that one saved from earlier encounters because it obviously represents a lot of work. And a valuable piece of info for many newbies. Especially me. It will take me a while to digest it all but even the basic concept of editing the menu rather than editing the individual icon is quite revealing.

Thank you.

-----Paul-----

Comment

Working...
        X