This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble with sudoing

I just got Kubuntu installed on my new laptop durring a "Linux install fest" that one of the CS organizations at my college was hosting. The installation went easily, but it wasn't able to properly configure DHCP on either my ethernet or wireless ports. The guys running the mass instalation said not to worry about it and that it could be done later.

Anyway, now both ports are automatically set to disabled, no problem, I just sudo admin authority to enable them, right? But when I click the button to sudo admin abilities to enable them, I enter my password, and nothing changes. It just tells me again that I need admin authority to make modifications and to click the button below to do it. It's not rejecting my password, it's just not letting me sudo.

Does anybody have any clue what the problem could be?

Some additional information that may be helpful:

Kubuntu is currently the only OS I have running. I have a 40 gig partition set aside for Windows XP, but I brought the wrong disk with me from home and have to wait a couple of weeks to get it installed.

The Laptop is an Asus Z71V model.
    The wireless card is an Intel 2915 model that supports 802.11 a/b/g
    The ethernet card is just a built in 10/100/100 MB LAN card, so I'm not sure of the manufacturer.

Re: Trouble with sudoing

Originally posted by carbonlifeform
    It just tells me again that I need admin authority to make modifications and to click the button below to do it. It's not rejecting my password, it's just not letting me sudo.
    Is "su" works in Konsole ?

Code:
    su

Comment

Trouble with sudoing

There is a bug, check https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo, If you are entring your password in KControl. You can try editing your /etc/network/interfaces file. paste your file here so we can suggest you proper settings.
      cheers!
      -=|From the desk of|=-
      «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
      «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
      «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
      Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

Trouble with sudoing

I configured DCHP through the konsole via the dhclient command, so I've got internet access now. However, it seems like I need to run it every few minutes. Anyway, the etc/network/interfaces file looks like this:

# This file describes the network interfaces ravailable on your system
        # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
        auto lo
        iface lo inet loopback

# This is a list of hotpluggable network interfaces.
        # They will be activated automatically by the hotplug subsystem.
        mapping hotplug
        script grep
        map eth0

If there seems to be anything that could use changing, I'm happy to know it. So far, learning my way around Linux in general has been as frustrating as it's been fun :P

Comment

Working...
        X