This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] No X Windows!!

I have kubuntu kucid lynx x64 installed and everything was ok. I just accepted the security updates and the rest updates that kpackage informed me and after the requested restart I cannot get into X windows!! I cannot work for my PhD. PLease help me. I am in front of a console asking me for my credentials. When typing my username k password and then trying to get into X windows by typing "sudo kdm start" and then " sudo startx" I receive a message Fatal server error no screens found ( I had perfectly install my 8600m with restricted drivers). By pressing ctrl + alt + f7 I see a screen telling me that has halted in checking battery state.. Any ideas you masters? ( I don't want to reformat my pc pls)

Re: URGENT PLEASE HELP GUYS!

What's the video card?

Comment

Nvidia 8600M GT 256 The lappy is 5920G with 4GB DDR2 and Momentus XT 500. It happened all of a sudden. The nvidia drivers were so good till now and didn't mess with it anymore. Just accepted the *amned updates

Comment

There was a kernel update this morning.

I use the downloaded proprietary driver, so I'm not experience recovering with the jockey-kde method. (Of course, the main selling point of the "Hardware Drivers" method is to avoid the very problem that you are having .... :P ).

Do you know which version of the Nvidia driver it was using?

Comment

It was the latest from the nvidia.com website. I don't remember the very exact version. To the best of my knowledge it was 244. something. Do I have any hopes restoring my X Windows?

Comment

This looks like the right approach: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=33

(you obviously won't need a terminal window -- you are already there ...)

I would add (right after the apt-get update):

Code:
            service kdm stop
            Code:
            apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r'
            (I'm not 100% sure of that package name -- possibly it is "linux-kernel-headers-2.6.32-blah-blah-blah". You can check in synaptic or kpackagekit and verify how the package name is formed.)

Skip the "gdm restart" command -- that's only for the Gnome desktop.

Then, after running the rest of the commands, issue
            Code:
            service kdm start
            and it should give you the GUI login greeter.

Comment

I"m gonna check it right now and tell you my friend. Thank you vastly for your interest

Comment

I don't have internet from my ethernet cable in this console mode and thus the update of the apt-get is not working

Comment

That's odd, and unexpected. Once you are logged in, try

Code:
                  sudo service networking restart
                  or if you have already become root with the sudo -i command, then it's just
                  Code:
                  service networking restart

Comment

I also want to add that by doing what instructed by the link you posted, I get this error message: nvidia-common and nvidia-modeliases are not currently installed so not removed.. very bizzare

Comment

I suspect the only problem that you have is a missing linux-headers package for the updated kernel, but you'll have to have Internet connection to get it.

Comment

Have you tried to boot into the "Recovery Console" and run the "Fix X" utility? The other question is, do you have an older kernel showing on your boot menu? If so, X might run if you boot that one.

Comment

sudo service networking restart --> restart: Unknown instance

Comment

Try
                            Code:
                            sudo service networking start
                            any error?

Comment

is there a way that I can press f8 like windows safe mode and enter recovery console? or should I insert the kubuntu live dvd? I'm in the university and I have currently a 100mbit connection and in the X windows is working fine. Just don't know how to make it available in console mode

Comment

Working...
                              X