This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

live session/cd freezes while booting for the first time

today i downloaded kubuntu 10.04.1 desktop via torrent, burned the .iso to a cd, restarted computer and it booted from the cd drive (it's an external usb drive) got the kubuntu language select screen, choose English, then picked start live session or whater its called. The thing started to go (i could see the dots moving I'll assume that you people know what i mean by that) after a minute or two they stopped. I rebooted, and tried again, same thing, then i ran the cd test function and it told me that there were no errors. I rebooted and tried a third time but left it, my computer is not particularly fast so i wondered if that was the issue, about three hours later I came back and it hadn't changed. I logged back into windows and tried installing the helper bootloader thing that came with it, it didn't work.

my system specs are as follows

Toshiba satellite t115 s110
    Intel celeron ulv 743 @ 1.30 ghz
    integrated graphics of whatever sort came on the system, i think that it may be through the processor?
    2.00 GB ram
    32 bit windows 7 home premium
    250 GB hdd with 20 GB blank partition slated for Linux
    the drive is an older Cue! usb 2 external cd drive

thanks in advance for your help.

Update: I have tried all suggestions, the cd works fine, I am typing this from a live session on my desktop and I tested it on a friends dell laptop. Hitting the spacebar, the enter key or "feathering" the touch pad also does not work. In case it was the CD drive i tried booting from a usb drive and got the same error that i had from the CD... anymore thoughts?

Re: live session/cd freezes while booting for the first time

I'll toss out a couple of possibilities:

- as a Toshiba netbook owner, I learned that some of the new super energy-conserving hard drives have built-in "go to sleep early and often" firmware, and designed for the drivers in MS Windows. They won't keep running for as long as it takes to install an OS. You can check this by "tickling" the touchpad, or just bumping the spacebar periodically. The physical movement of the input devices will keep it awake (at least it keeps mine awake). Once the OS is installed, the X server will do a better job of keeping it going. But when you go to console mode, you may find it falling asleep during upgrades, for example.

- there are those who disagree with this point, but Ubuntu and other distributions recommend using the slowest available burn speed that your CD burning software supports when you burn the ISO, because of the extreme compression used to make the ISO image.

Comment

Check that you don't have a bad burn. In the LiveCD boot menu, use the option to check the install media.
      When burning CDs or Dvds, don't use some cheap crap, but quality stuff, and use the "Verify written data" option. When you use cheap crap, burning at low speeds won't be much use either, and you'll still frequently have bad burns.
      Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Try booting the cd again, and press F6 and remove "quiet" from the end of the line, and then push enter. See if any error messages come out regarding your video. Or anything else of interest for that matter.

Mine, using Maverick, I needed to add kernel options for it to recognize my video card.
        Boot Info Script

Comment

I really need some more help here people, it still wont work and I want to install kubuntu

Comment

There have been a few previous reports of problems like this with USB-connected optical drives. I have one (I/O Magic Super LightScribe) that seems to work pretty reliably, but I have only used it on 4 or 5 computers.

So, you get what looks like the expected text menu, but when you press "Try Live" it bombs out. You have tried pressing the spacebar as it tries to load, and that doesn't help. You need to press F6, and this time back up the cursor so it deletes the word "splash", then press Enter and watch for any error messages.

Comment

I tried booting after removing "splash" from the menu, the last few lines i got were as follows

init: ureadahead- other main process (1200) terminated with status 4
              init: ureadahead- other main process (1201) terminated with status 4
              [ 60,68042] kernal panic- not syncing: HwThreeWire (): Cmd Reg: OXFF RE|bits are not clear!!
              [ 60.680464]
              [ 60.696502] [drm:drm_fb_helper_panic]*ERROR* panic occured, switching back to text console

forgive any small mistakes i had to write this down with a pen, but i dont think that it is the drive, i used the external usb drive to boot my desktop into a live session to test it and it worked fine.

Thanks for the continuing help

Comment

Originally posted by hourglasss
                ... kernal panic- not syncing: HwThreeWire ...
                That's a wireless problem for the Toshiba.

You might want to translate this Chinese link that says something about black listing.
                Boot Info Script

Comment

I had somewhat the same problem with a desktop machine. It would freeze when trying to just run the live CD and also if I would just try to verify the CD. It would freeze every time. I later found the problem to be that fact that I had a USB drive connected to the machine at the time. Once the USB drive was remeove, it would run fine.

To try to understand the problem more, I tried a previous release (9.04) but that would not hang the machine. I don't know if this qualifies as a "bug" but for a while, it sure left me in a jam.

Ray

Comment

the verifacation works fine, my laptop does not have a disc drive so i'm booting from an external drive, can i update kubuntu from a 9.x version to a 10.x from inside the os? if so i will try installing that.

Comment

can i update kubuntu from a 9.x version to a 10.x from inside the os? if so i will try installing that.
                      Yes.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I downloaded and burned 9.10, when trying to boot a live session i got the exact same error that i got with 10.04, is there any point in trying 9.04 to see if that helps?

Comment

I downloaded and burned 9.10, when trying to boot a live session i got the exact same error that i got with 10.04, is there any point in trying 9.04 to see if that helps?
                          No. You have some hardware issues that need to be resolved first. Try first googling your Toshiba+linux and see where that leads you. Did you llok at the link I gave you regarding your panics?
                          Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
                          X