This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Installing an internal 56k modem??

Generally speaking you can use any DNS server so the ones from your router at home should work. Yes you can add, or substitute, the Google and Open DNS ones such as 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 which are guaranteed to work.

It sounds like you're really close to getting this working.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyK
      He who laughs last is at 300 baud.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyK
        Then I took a look at what /etc/resolv.conf said. All it had listed was my dns info for my router at home.

For the Google DNS server lists, do I just copy and paste those two lines of code into the resolv.conf? Do I leave what is currently there?
        Your resolv.conf has your ISP's DNS IP addresses AND you have been given an IP address: "inet addr:12.74.168.148 ".

You "should" be good to go. If you still can't connect it begs the question as to how DHCP is setting your IP address and populating your resolv.conf file.

What does:
        route -n
        show?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

This is what I found.

Code:
          Kernel IP routing table
          Destination   Gateway     Genmask     Flags Metric Ref  Use   Iface
          199.69.156.183 0.0.0.0     255.255.255.255 UH  0   0    0    ppp0
          172.16.131.0   0.0.0.0     255.255.255.0  U    0   0    0    vmnet1
          192.168.142.0  0.0.0.0     255.255.255.0  U    0   0    0    vmnet8
          0.0.0.0       0.0.0.0     0.0.0.0       U    0   0    0    ppp0
          The vmnet1 and vmnet8 are for VMware Workstation.

I tried to set up the new DNS as suggested, but every time i click on Knetworkmanager, nothing happens. I can't find another place to edit in the new DNS addresses.

Comment

The DNS addresses go in /etc/resolv.conf and that file looks like this:
            Code:
            nameserver 208.67.222.222 
            nameserver 208.67.220.220
            Use whatever server numbers you want.

Comment

Your routing table is NOT good.

Just as I suspected. Your ppp client is not setting up a gateway route to an outside machine. Here is my routing table:
              route -n
              Kernel IP routing table
              Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
              192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 wlan0
              0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 wlan0
              Notice that the second line has a Gateway IP address (which actually points to "another machine", my wireless router) and it is flagged "UG". My table says that packets addressed to 192.168.1.* are sent to wlan0 and all other packets (destination address 0.0.0.0 - any) are sent by wlan0 to another machine, i.e., my wireless gateway using IP address 192.168.1.1

Gateways are set up manually using this form:
              route add default gw <gateway-ip-address> <interface>

Your ifconfig command gave
              Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
              inet addr:12.74.168.148 P-t-P:199.69.156.183 Mask:255.255.255.255

Your routing table says that packets with a exact destination address 199.69.156.183 (and no other because the netmask is 255.255.255.255) are sent to wlan0, and packets with an IP address of 172.16.131.0/24 are sent to vmnet1, while packets with a destination IP address of 192.168.142.0/24 are sent to vmnet8. The fourth line should cover all other packets destinations (0.0.0.0 with netmask 0.0.0.0) except that the gateway is undefined - 0.0.0.0, i.e., every IP address except those listed above cannot be "gateways" to other machines.

If your first line
              199.69.156.183 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0
              were actually
              199.69.156.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 UH 0 0 0 ppp0
              I could suggest:
              route add default gw 199.69.156.1 ppp0
              but that is not possible because it appears that the client to the ppp software isn't working right..

First, save your VM guest OS files and then uninstall VMWare and your dkms kernel headers to clear your route table so that it shows your ppp0 connections only. Then, do a complete removal of the Kppp app, which I assume you are using. Then install wvdial and follow the instructions here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=307155

It's been over 5 years since I last used a dial up, and almost a decade since I used it continuously. Back then Kppp didn't cut the mustard but wvdial did. I'll wager it's the same today. Sort of a repeat of KNetworkManager and wicd.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                Back then Kppp didn't cut the mustard but wvdial did. I'll wager it's the same today.
                This was precisely my experience with kppp a few years ago with an older version of Kubuntu. I've never had a problem with wvdial or Gnome-PPP.

Regards...
                Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Great! I'll work on this after church and report back my results...

Comment

Success!

I'll admit I cheated just a little bit.

I unstalled Kppp, and then decided to skip uninstalling VMware, just to see what happens. If it still wouldn't work, then I would happily go back and kill it.

So I download wvdial, and install it. Then followed the instructions provided by the link from GreyGeek.

Instead of manually editing the wvdial.conf file as instructed, I wondered what would happen if I went straight to the Gnome-PPP application. No Dice!

So I went back and edited that file, and staying in the Konsole, fired up the modem and it connected. The real test was when I was able to connect to a website that i know that I have never connected to via this computer.

Not only did it come up (I verified that the wi-fi was off), it came up SLOW, indicating that it was coming through the dialup modem.

I didn't go back and connect using the Gnome-PPP, I'll test it out later.

I was using the drivers suggested by Ardvark. Free ones limit you to 14.4 (to test to see if it work). I'm going to send them the $$$ to get the 56K ones.

Also I want to consolidate the various posts into one easy to read post, listing step by step what I did for future people.

Thanks again for your help and patience all!

Comment

Hi...

Praise God! That's awesome and I'm glad I could be of assistance!

I got the impression from Linuxant's website that you won't need to download separate 56k drivers, just purchase the token that will generate a key to activate the full version.

Take care and best wishes...
                      Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                      How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                      PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Working...
                      X