X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another nvidia driver problem

Hi, guys
    i am new to here and please understand i wouldn't have posted my first thread asking this question if i was trying hard to search all over the internet to sort this out.

so basically there are so many guides on this topic, and every one of them is slightly different than others. and now i dont even know which one i followed. i guess the one i mainly relied on was from the help->desktop guide->hardware->3d graphic card.

so basically i installed nvidia-glx through adept, and also checked that my "linux-restricked-modules", which is i386, is also installed.

so follow the guide, i backed up the "xorg.conf" to "xorg.cong_backup" and ran the script "sudo nvidia-glx-config enable".

the console returned:" Error: your X configuration has been altered.
    edit manually /etc/X11/xorg.conf to change the Driver section from nv to nvidia"

i noticed the last part of the error message, so i went online did search again, and found out that i needed to change this "nv" to "nvidia".

different from most people, my original xorg.conf file had "vesa" instead "nv" as expected.

but anyway, i tried changing it both to "nv" and "nvidia", still the same error message returned.

now i ran out of ideas. can anyone please check this out for me? thx!!

LINUX is hard!!!

Re: another nvidia driver problem

Just checked the guide from Kubuntu's Help Center. That was not what I followed to get my NVIDIA card up and running.

This was what I followed:
    http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Latest_Nvidia_Dapper
    If you don't mind reading another guide, I suggest using that one. It has not failed me, both in Breezy and in Dapper. I suggest you follow Method #1, which is the simplest and easiest. But that will depend on what NVIDIA card you are using.

1. Did you check that the version of linux-restricted-modules and linux-image match? The default installed kernel version is 2.6.15-23. Double check that you are using exactly the same versions. Installing the linux-386 package will help solve the problem, since it installs everything related to the 386 kernel (restricted modules, headers, etc.)

2. If I'm not mistaken, and according to the guide I linked to, the proper command is
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    At least, that's what I used, not the nvidia-glx-config command.

Try those 2 things and see what happens. I wish you luck!
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Re: another nvidia driver problem

Thank you Jucato.

I checked the linux kernel, which is the latest 23 for 386 i think.
      i also followed the guide (method 1) u sent me, i followed exactly, and this time no error returned.
      but then how do i tell if its properly installed? i remember from other guide, they say after "ctrl+alt+backspace", if you see nvidia logo or a splash? then it means you got it. however, in my case i see nothing but a black screen then xserver turns back and ask me to login again.

**ADD**:
      Now i can see the NVIDIA-Settings option under "System" now. And i can access it. it seems i can change settings in it and it does save these settings. but visually i dont see anything changing. for example, there isa "Cursor Shadow" option in the settings, no matter how much i offset the X and Y, i dont see any shadows.
      STILL no splashscreen happening.

man, this is so difficult.

Comment

Working...
      X