Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

it's about clearing cache and history...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

greetings.

i am a linux and computing newbie.

recently, i had decided to dual boot my pc because i cant defrag one of the windows os hardisk: one huge chunk of it is in red. and i m sick of the sight. so i decided to try and rid of windows os. (but i cant totally rid of it for the time being, due to my work, but thats another issue...) thats why i dual boot.

in the window xp environment, i have this habit of clearing the cache and history whenever i use my internet browser (using firefox browser, and using x extension to clear the history and cache).

my question is, should i do the same thing in the linux environment: clearing my history and cache like i did in windows os environment before i close my firefox browser? or i don't have to do these two tasks after i had done using firefox browser in the linux os environment?

btw, i have two pc. both dual boot linux os and windows xp os.

one pc dual boot with ubuntu and windows, and the other pc dual boot with kubuntu and windows.

thank you and regards

wat i am trying to ask, in short:

can i do away these two steps, clearing cache and clearing history when i am in linux, doing net surfing? is it safe?

Comment

In Konqueror you can clear cache & History by going to "Configure Konqueror" in Settings and going to their subsections and pressing "Clear"

It is safe.

Comment

no, wat i mean is, is it safe if i skip these two steps in linux environment?

i have the impression that linux is strong in terms of security,

so,

can i juz simply skip these two steps when i am at linux os surfing the net? thats wat i wanna noe.

if it's safe to get rid of those two steps, then, i will not do them anymore in linux os.

Comment

You are quite safe.

Comment

thanx man.

it's part of my jumpy nature, and compound with feeling insecure with the windoze os environment, i develop a ocd (obsessive compulsive disorder) like behavior when using windoze os to surf the net: i click my clear cache and history button (a firefox extension button at the tool bar) right before i close the browser. and many times, i juz click on it for no reason...

now that i semi-migrated to linux environment, i wanna cut down on this chronic clicking... maybe juz one click after i visit the banking online site.

Comment

You can also clean your tracks from "run Kcontrol then Security and privacy > Privacy > press clean up"
              cheers!
              -=|From the desk of|=-
              «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
              «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
              «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
              Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

Originally posted by a.w.
                i develop a ocd (obsessive compulsive disorder) like behavior when using windoze os to surf the net:

maybe juz one click after i visit the banking online site.
                Do you know windows never clear you all tracks when you press clean history and delete cookies and temporary internet files ? windows still keep them in c:\path_to_temporary internet files\content.ie5. same goes with your mails. Outlook express also keep your deleted mails in same manner.
                check this for more information
                Code:
                http://www.****microsoft.com/content/ms-hidden-files.shtml
                cheers!
                -=|From the desk of|=-
                Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

Re: it's about clearing cache and history...

Originally posted by a.w.
                  no, wat i mean is, is it safe if i skip these two steps in linux environment?
                  It might help for us to know exactly what you're trying to accomplish, in terms of security, by compulsively clearing your browser cache and history.

If you're trying to prevent another user of your computer from looking at your browsing habits, then you must clear those items no matter which browser or OS you're using.  If the other users have separate accounts on the same machine, then you must take steps in Kubuntu/XP to change some permissions.  By default, every user has read-only access to every other user's Home directory.  The same applies to Windows XP.

In reality, clearing the history/cache, isn't going to help much against an intruder who has physical access to the machine.  Those files can be easily undeleted (unless you have wiped/shredded them), keyloggers can be installed, memory sniffer, swap file can be examined for passwords, etc, etc.

If you're trying to prevent a cracker from viewing your browsing habits over the internet, then you're surely more secure using Kubuntu, than using XP.  However, keep in mind that if your machine has been compromised (hacked), you have far worse problems than clearing your internet history!  That machine needs to wiped clean and the OS reinstalled, unless you are very expert at finding root kits, keyloggers, and other malicious items.

Clearing your internet history/cache is usefull for hiding your pr0n surfing habits from your wife, or some other non-computer savvy, casual snoop.  But against a dedicated attacker who knows what she's doing, it's not going to accomplish much.

Comment

Re: it's about clearing cache and history...

Originally posted by Segovia
                    Clearing your internet history/cache is usefull for hiding your pr0n surfing habits from your wife, or some other non-computer savvy, casual snoop
                    lol, well said Segovia, @OP you can't think you are safe by simply clearing your history/cache, If you doing crap, you will get crap. I only clear my cache if by browser start causing me problem cause of that, keep in mind that Security is a process not a product.
                    cheers!
                    -=|From the desk of|=-
                    Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

Working...
                    X