This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Newbie Help

Hello all Kubuntu users! I'm brand new to the Linux way of life and this is my first posting of anything about Linux based systems. I come from a strong background with Windows XP and some in Vista but the main focus being that I am so accustomed to windows GUI that I am completely lost as far where to start in Kubuntu. I am running the most recent version 10.04 Lucid Lynx on my Asus notebook with a 64 bit OS, which I will be mainly using for 3D, video editing, photo editing and other media related topics . I switched to the Linux side because, frankly, I was tired of having to pay for every piece of software I wanted to use and I decided I would go all open source instead of stealing pirated software. So would someone be so kind as to point me in the right direction of where to start my Kubuntu adventure?
    Asus Notebook x83V-X1: Intel Core2Duo x64 @ 2.3ghz, 4gb DDR2 Ram, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GS, 320gb HDD<br />Kubuntu 10.04 LucidLynx x64

Re: Kubuntu Newbie Help

http://kubuntuguide.org/Lucid

Comment

On Ubuntu forums there is a "Multimedia & Video" forum, where you can find a lot of information about media-related topics: http://ubuntuforums.org/

Comment

Hi and welcome to Linux and kubuntuforums

There are many good FOSS alternatives for the 'regular' software. A good resource and to start with Linux is this forum and apart from mentioned above I like http://www.psychocats.net (note that it differ slightly from Kubuntu but its in the same 'family'). Not sure what you are accustomed to but here are some programs you might find useful.

Blender (3D) - http://www.blender.org/
        GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program - http://www.gimp.org/
        Inkscape - vector based graphic http://www.inkscape.org/
        DigiKam - photo editor http://www.digikam.org/

all should be in the repository

Have fun using Kubuntu!
        ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
        Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
        Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
        Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
        - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
        >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

I'm sure no one is going to like this comment....however I feel it should be said.
          For many new Linux users coming from windows, Ubuntu is a better bet than Kubuntu, and here's why:

Kubuntu's Graphical User Interface is called KDE. Now, in my opinion, and probably in a lot of more advanced user's opinions, the KDE system is far superior to the GNOME that comes standard with Ubuntu. This is after all, why we use Kubuntu rather than Ubuntu in the first place. There is a problem with this though. KDE is completely different than gnome, and therefore works completely differently, it even has a host of completely different applications. For instance, when you are looking for help on your Kubuntu system, and you type into google "new fun awesome program for Kubuntu that does ---- and how to install it" You're most likely going to get back more Ubuntu info than Kubuntu, despite the fact you actually typed Kubuntu. Now, for a lot of things, these Ubuntu instructions will do you just fine. Here comes the issue though, for a lot of things, they don't work at all. You need to keep this in mind when you are looking for tutorials, or command line instructions, because often the same command or tutorial will work, you simply need to make your KDE adjustments, like change a name here and there. I find that plain old Ubuntu can be much less confusing for a novice user who has become very comfortable in their GUI environment. Linux isn't a world that can be all GUI yet, and it won't be for awhile to come, possibly never. The truth is, as you will surely find, so many things are easier and more efficient in your terminal. Installing programs is one of these things. I am not saying you should switch to Ubuntu over Kubuntu, I just thought it was a good idea to let you know what you've gotten yourself into choosing to start with KDE. That being said. KDE will be much easier for you to get used to, as far as menu style and where things are found(changing appearance, etc), and like I said, I prefer KDE. Some things are actually easier and require less technical knowledge in KDE than those in GNOME, and you can use GNOME programs in KDE if you like.
          Really, KDE is amazing in so many ways. Yet, I felt it must be pointed out, the learning curve is certainly a bit steeper.

Comment

Relating to the previous post, I personally don't think the difference between KDE and Gnome is a big deal. The problems with finding information and support which is directly applicable to your situation is a problem which you find everywhere and always will. It's just the nature of the beast when you have so many choices and could even be regarded as a strength. In fact that points to the biggest difference between MS and FOSS - in this world you have lots of choice.

To get some perspective on the idea of choice, I would like to mention one of the first big ones available. That is your choice of GUI. You can install KDE, Gnome, Xfce, Fluxbox, and they all do the same basic job of giving you a graphical front end - and you will still be running Linux and even Ubuntu. I often hear people saying they like a certain look of a particular release so on. To me this is generally irrelevant as it only takes a few clicks to change the look and style beyond recognition. KDE and Kubuntu is particularly configurable as far as the look and feel is concerned. Just do it your way.

Here are a few other major points to keep in mind:

Regarding software. The main thing to get used to is just choosing what you want from a huge list of trusted programs. You use a built in package manager to install and un-install to your heart's content. Change to a different package manager if you like. In windows you go looking on the net and take your chances with the safety of what you get. We don't normally do it that way in Linux. Yes you can install software which is not in the repositories, but it is usually more troublesome and you should only do that if it is absolutely the only way to get the functionality you need.

A big difference in the way of working is getting used to not working as administrator. This can sometimes be a little nuisance, but you will learn to love the security.

I notice that ex MS users often have some archaic habits which could be dropped with some advantage. KDE and the others, all can use many desktops. You don't have just one. Hit Ctrl-F1 (F2 etc) to move between them. You can add more if you need it. Even the lowly Fluxbox interface can do that. This means that you can do different kinds of work on different desktops and not have to clean them off when you move on to other tasks. Another MS habit is minimising applications. It simply serves no purpose and is just extra work. Note that in KDE you can keep 50 or more windows open if you like. You'll find your own ways of working, but keep in mind that the choices you have with Linux often include methods which could be better suited to your own need than what you already are using. You are free to change almost anything.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
              Relating to the previous post, I personally don't think the difference between KDE and Gnome is a big deal.
              How much I'd like to agree with you Ole Juul, for the new user there's a lot new information as stated above, if you want to tweak something the small difference between gedit and kate can be a steep hill to climb along with several other new commands (atleast it was to me) if you're new to a OS, but we all learn eventually.
              Other then that I agree fully, but many medium advanced Linux users quite easily forget how it was the first time.

Originally posted by Ole Juul
              Good luck!
              .. and when we're out of that, this is where we come
              ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
              Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
              Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
              Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
              - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
              >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Thanks to Googeek and Ole Juul for your awesome responses and thank you for the guidance. In response to googeeks post, I have heard that ubuntu is much easier to learn but I feel up to the challenge to learn the KDE interface as I do want the power and customization options that it offers. And to Juul, thanks for the extra info on some differences and such, helped a lot to know some major factors and assets.
                Asus Notebook x83V-X1: Intel Core2Duo x64 @ 2.3ghz, 4gb DDR2 Ram, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GS, 320gb HDD<br />Kubuntu 10.04 LucidLynx x64

Comment

Welcome to the party

If you are into photo editing maybe this will be of use to you:
                  http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/20...al_photogr.php
                  HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                  X