This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Boot Uninstallation

I dunno how to put the subject right but here it is anyway.

The situation:

I have 2 partition drive that reads C and D.In drive C,I installed Windows 7 then in drive D I use dual boot function to install Kubuntu. The problem is that I once uninstalled my Windows 7 and then my Kubuntu Loader(sorry dunno if this is right) is also gone but I know it is still there in Drive D. So my question is, how to uninstall Windows 7 without having to install Kubuntu all the time because of the disappearing loader?

Any help will be much appreciated

Re: Dual Boot Uninstallation

First, Linux doesn't define "drive letters - C:, D:, etc.", so I'm going to guess that you did a Wubi install of Kubuntu "inside of" Windows 7. If that guess is correct, then uninstalling Windows means you are also 'removing' your installed Kubuntu.

A Wubi install of Kubuntu doesn't give you a true dual-boot system. It looks like one, as you have a boot menu that you get to select either Windows or Linux (Kubuntu). Selecting Linux (Kubuntu) just boots the installation that resides inside of Windows.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you Snowhog, but does that mean that when I uninstall windows then Kubuntu would also be gone?
      and Yeah,I did pick the option of Installing inside Windows

Sorry for any incorrect term there. Still learning the way

Comment

Originally posted by konandram
        but does that mean that when I uninstall windows then Kubuntu would also be gone?
        Yes. Using Wubi to install Kubuntu, you are installing what Windows sees as just another application - it resides inside of the Windows installation. So, if you remove Windows, so goes your Kubuntu. In your case, because you used Windows drive D: to put Kubuntu on, that Windows application (Kubuntu) is still there, that is true. But, just like any other Windows application that you installed to a drive other than where Windows itself is installed on (drive C, once you uninstall Windows, those applications are no longer accessible, as they depend on the existence of a working Windows OS.

A true dual-boot system, and in your case, one with both Windows 7 and Kubuntu, then Kubuntu needs to be installed from a LiveCD (best way), or from a net-install (better to go with a LiveCD). In this way, you have two separate OS's on your PC, without Kubuntu being dependent upon Windows, which is the case with a Wubi install of Kubuntu.

Comment

Thank you again Snowhog, that's really explains it all.

Then I will try to install a proper dual boot after this .

It really is upsetting because I don't want to lose all my setting I have made in Kubuntu. I guess I really have no choice after all

Off-topic: But I got to say,Kubuntu rocks 8).

Comment

After you get Windows 7 reinstalled, read through How to dual boot Windows XP and Linux (XP installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots.

apcmag doesn't have a specific guide for Windows 7 and Linux (they do have one for Windows 7 and Windows XP together), but it should guide you through the process none-the-less. These apc dual-boot guides are considered "the best" by many. Back in the day when I had Vista, I used the Vista one to setup my laptop for dual-boot. I've long since dumped Windows completely (except for a Win XP Pro 'virtual machine') for a pure Linux (Kubuntu) laptop.

Comment

You may find this helpful too.

http://www.tuxradar.com/linuxstarterpack

This contains a step by step guide to installing a dual boot system. It presupposes windows is installed first.

However, I'm not sure that is what you actually want here, given your reference to uninstalling windows. Before proceeding, perhaps it would be wise to take stock and assess what you actually want to do. That will then enable us to ascertain your optimum setup. So far as windows is concerned, what do you wish to use it for?

On the question of your kubuntu settings, if you run the live cd, you may be able to see and retrieve your /home directory (assuming that you removed windows by the simple deletion of the contents of the c:\ drive).

Comment

Working...
              X